Coyote with .22 LR

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I will freely admit it, this was a lucky shot. On my way home from work I drive on dirt roads for a while and drove past a field where I have permission to shoot coyotes. There crouched on the opposite side of the field from me was a young coyote. Armed only with a .22 rifle topped with a Leupold M7b-4x scope I stopped and took aim just as he started to trot off. I led him by a few inches as he was quartering away and held six inches over his head. At the shot he dropped and began wringing his tail.

He needed a finisher as the 38 grain American Eagle HP bullet broke his neck but he was still alive when I got to him. Looking it over I guess the distance to have been somewhere between 100 and 125 yards.

I’ve killed coyotes with just a .22 before but this one was the farthest shot on a coyote with which I have ever connected!
1c9c159d19c698ff0f525f767b71902f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too young and stupid to know that he needed to skedaddle. Reckon he won't get another chance to learn to harass young fawns. I know its gratifying to connect on a shot at that distance.

Back