Washington mulie

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
Thanks all on the forum who helped with load development etc. it’s greatly appreciated and the wealth of knowledge is outstanding. Got a nice mulie buck Saturday morning 200 yard shot with 6.5/300 weatherby. Buck ran 40 yards and down he went. Was hunting feel free to hunt which mostly bordered by private. Nothing special but legal and meat in the freezer in my book. The entrance hole was enormous, the largest I have ever seen a nosler AccuBond produce. Quick humane kill so bullet did it’s job. Load 87.5 of us869 140 grain nosler AccuBond, weatherby ultra light, leupold vx3 6.5x20 x50 with m1 dials. Muzzle velocity was 3250 FPS. Bullet was not recovered nor did it exit the chest cavity.

Attachments

• 183709D9-2B7E-42AF-8502-BDBD7DB0FED4.jpeg
    183709D9-2B7E-42AF-8502-BDBD7DB0FED4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,128
  • 6A4B412B-F441-420D-A58D-58CF21FA3059.jpeg
    6A4B412B-F441-420D-A58D-58CF21FA3059.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,128
Great that you got your buck! Not sure about the bullet performance....?!? Hope you had a great time. CL

That definitely did a number on the front leg. Still, good that it was a quick kill. Forty yards doesn't seem all that much for a mulie to run in my experience.

Congratulations. Looks like a perfect shot. It must feel gratifying to take some game with your hand load. Great job all the way around.

Dan

Wow! Congrats on filling your tag.

But DANG, what an entrance wound! And no bullet recovery, yet it didn't exit out the other side?

Guy

Not even with my Busty 30-06 have I seen a hole like that. Neither from close hits or if the bullet had to cover some distance.
So here’s a question for the more experienced Hunter.
With the bullet not having been recovered is it possible that with some weird type of spiraling motion that wound could end up being the entrance and exit wound?
Just asking [emoji2308]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a entrance wound for sure.

I’ve had exit wounds that size when I hit a white tail buck with a 165 gn Hornady soft point. This was from my 30-06,

Last one I zapped with that bullet was big enough to put a soft ball in. Lost a bit of meat on that one.

Congrats to you on getting a really nice mulie buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Holy cow. That's a for real hole. A tad excessive for my tastes, but weird things happen sometimes.

A big congrats on the successful hunt. (y)

Congrats on the deer and filling the freezer, I'm liking that nice lefty 6.5/300 Wby too. It would appear that maybe those kinds of speeds are a bit much for the 140 gr AB.

Congratulations on your nice buck. A heavier bullet seems to be warranted, way to much damage there.

gerry":1ekzsbtg said:
Congrats on the deer and filling the freezer, I'm liking that nice lefty 6.5/300 Wby too. It would appear that maybe those kinds of speeds are a bit much for the 140 gr AB.
3250 isnt even that fast I shoot the 140 out of a 270 wby @ 3350 and it performs admirably normally pass throughs I've only caught one and that went from stem to stern on a frontal chest shot
Looks like the bullet encountered a shoulder blade

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My word! That’s some kind of entrance hole! Congratulations on your deer! Any pointers for someone considering making the jump from 300 WBY? I’ve got a 1-12 twist MK V that might have a new barrel in its future! Im not a real big speed demon anymore, but that cartridge looks like a fun one to play with!
V/R,
Joe

amassi":3usdhssy said:
gerry":3usdhssy said:
3250 isnt even that fast I shoot the 140 out of a 270 wby @ 3350 and it performs admirably normally pass throughs I've only caught one and that went from stem to stern on a frontal chest shot

It will be interesting to hear if that was just a one off with the 6.5 mm 140 gr AB or if they are indeed softer.

For whatever it's worth when I had my 264 WM I really liked the 130 gr Swift Scirocco at 3200 fps. It's really tough and Weatherby loads that in their 6.5/300 factory ammo as well I believe. The tipped mono bullets might be a good place to look at too.

gerry":34rcq0oy said:
amassi":34rcq0oy said:
gerry":34rcq0oy said:

It will be interesting to hear if that was just a one off with the 6.5 mm 140 gr AB or if they are indeed softer.

For whatever it's worth when I had my 264 WM I really liked the 130 gr Swift Scirocco at 3200 fps. It's really tough and Weatherby loads that in their factory ammo as well I believe. The tipped mono bullets might be a good place to look at too.
The 127 lrx is a great bullet even at ludicrous 6.5-300 speeds. The 120 e tip also worth honorable mention

If I could find some reloader 33 I would dabble with the 150 pieces of Barnes 127 grain lrx that I have. They don’t seem to like us 869 powder. I do have some Berger 156 grain pills to try as well. I just didn’t have time to play with. I stayed away from here gets as this is what I expected from them, now I am not displeased with Accubonds at all. Just didn’t expect the hole. Dead’s dead and I have 11 months and 20 days to figure it out.

str8meat":2yfuwpvd said:
If I could find some reloader 33 I would dabble with the 150 pieces of Barnes 127 grain lrx that I have. They don’t seem to like us 869 powder. I do have some Berger 156 grain pills to try as well. I just didn’t have time to play with. I stayed away from here gets as this is what I expected from them, now I am not displeased with Accubonds at all. Just didn’t expect the hole. Dead’s dead and I have 11 months and 20 days to figure it out.
Try retumbo or 8133 with the 127.

Back