hunting ammo stock piling?

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
As I am sure a lot of you all have seen, ammo shelves are pretty darn empty with any good quality hunting ammo. I load my own ammo for deer hunting but like to keep a box or so for every caliber I hunt with in my ammo safe. I have decided to start stock piling some ammo. I am loading up some boxes of proven loads in all of the calibers I hunt and saving them in ammo safe. For example, My wife's Ruger 243 shoots Hornady 95 gr SST's exceptionally well so I loaded up 15 rounds and put them away. Did the same with 270, 30-06 etc. I am trying to prevent from ever being one of the guys that is "ammo less" right now before rifle season starts.

What do you all do to ensure having ammo? Do you guys load up 20 or so rounds for a season and then save the leftover rounds for next season?

I usually load 50 rounds for each gun. I keep about 200 rounds for each pistol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I don't usually keep a lot of loaded ammo, but I have the components to load anything I need when I need it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I do it a bit different, once I find a good load I’ll load up 100-200, be done with it for 5+ years.

I do most of my shooting with a 223 so load lots of them at once, same scope as hunting rifle. Don’t load for handgun, as I don’t shoot them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to keep at least 50 deer loads for each rifle. Sometimes more. Handguns , several. Dan.

I load up the box once I have the load.
So 50 for Nosler, 100 usually on Sierra or Hornady.
I like to have spares. Seems when a mount or scope go, it’s always 2-3 weeks before season...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":24q3e40z said:
I load up the box once I have the load.
So 50 for Nosler, 100 usually on Sierra or Hornady.
I like to have spares. Seems when a mount or scope go, it’s always 2-3 weeks before season...

I hate having a box of 20 or less...by the time you get the load developed, you’re low on bullets... and if anything goes wrong again.. I’m buying factory ammo...

Usually a box of 20 per per hunting rifle cartridge. Lots of general shooting ammo, otherwise.

Once I work up a load and get it shooting right with a bullet that performs on game the way I want. I tend to put it in production and load a couple hundred with the same lot of powder. That way it's on hand for several years worth of hunting and if they change powders or bullets, I have time to work up another one.

Back