Archery moose success

HodgemanAK

Beginner
Oct 23, 2020
I drew an archery cow moose tag this year for the Fairbanks Management Area. I hadn't taken a big game animal with a bow although I've had one for the last few years I only had shot grouse with it. On the fourth day of hunting, I got within range of a couple of middling sized cows and let fly with an arrow at first light.

I've been a bit hesitant to use the bow on larger game like moose for fear of wounding and not recovering an animal, but that was apparently unfounded.

While I've taken quite a number of animals with rifles, the deadliness of archery tackle was something I seriously underrated. I managed to put my arrow weighing 418 grains with its 100 grain broad head right though both lungs. The cow stood there for a couple of seconds and the other cow it was with took off running. Both of them ran into a high grass meadow and I heard the cow pile up in the bottom. The other cow exited the meadow and kept on trucking.

I gave it the usual 20-30 minutes before following up, although I was sure my cow was down in the meadow. I didn't find my arrow or a single drop of blood where the cow was standing when I shot it, but the cow was down and doornail dead in the high grass. Total time on her feet after the shot couldn't be more than 30 seconds and she covered only about 75 yards.

The bull I shot with a .300 last year was on it's feet longer and covered more ground than that.

The arrow had penetrated both lungs, exited and is still sailing through air for all I know. A brief effort to find it didn't turn it up but the three bladed broad head punched a triangular hole clean through a cow moose, contacted ribs on the way in...and out.
I was thoroughly impressed with the effectiveness of the arrow where I was formerly skeptical about hunting moose with a bow.

Attachments

• Cow moose.jpg
    Cow moose.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 616
  • broadhead.jpg
    broadhead.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 616
Congrats on filling the freezer with all that fine meat and also on your first bow kill. Great job.

Congrats on a great hunting achievement!

Moose with a bow. Yes indeed, I respect that.

Guy

Excellent! The devastation even on a rib bone from that broadhead is astonishing. Congratulations on a fine hunt and some excellent table fare for the coming year.

Very nice. Congratulations on your cow moose with a bow.

JD338

Congrats on a fine trophy! The effectiveness of archery tackle is highly underestimated. I have had similar results on mature bull elk.

Moose is on my bucket list. I never considered archery for moose.

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a great hunting feat - taking a moose with an arrow. You must have made one heck of a stalk to get within archery range of a moose. Yes, good broadheads are very deadly when shot through the lungs. I believe it takes some skill to make a good shot with a bow shooting a broadhead under hunting conditions. Kudos to you for making both the stalk and the shot. You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Dan

Strong work. I drew that tag years ago but never connected on it unfortunately. Good eating right there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Fantastic! Quite an accomplishment and a bounty of good eating right there. Congratulations!

Back