First deer with 416 Rem Mag.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Managed to take a good doe this evening. About 65 yard shot, and she made it about 20 yards downhill. The 300 TSX at 2700 fps actually expanded well on behind shoulder lung shot. I had planned on shoulder shot, but I guess I'm just to used to behind the shoulder shots. After seeing expansion though I'm sold on this bullet being a good choice for deer.
cfbd425d3bd1e78129db9e7fd1604b1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd say it worked pretty well! Not sure how much expansion you really need with a .416 bullet on deer anyway, but glad to see it did put a nice hole in her. No sense in running it through the shoulders if you dont have to is my thoughts. Less meat youd have to throw away.

remingtonman_25_06":3tchzan8 said:
I'd say it worked pretty well! Not sure how much expansion you really need with a .416 bullet on deer anyway, but glad to see it did put a nice hole in her. No sense in running it through the shoulders if you dont have to is my thoughts. Less meat youd have to throw away.
Yes after seeing the performance I dont see the point in aiming for the shoulder now.

Way to break in your new Ruger No.1, congrats! You haven't had it for very long and I bet a few weeks ago if someone would have told you about it you might not have believed them :lol: Any plans on taking out your 416 Taylor this fall still?

gerry":1m4gq9fs said:
Way to break in your new Ruger No.1, congrats! You haven't had it for very long and I bet a few weeks ago if someone would have told you about it you might not have believed them [emoji38] Any plans on taking out your 416 Taylor this fall still?
Thanks! Yes the 416 Taylor improved is next up. Really want to see how well it does with the the 350 gr speer mag tips, then with 350 TTSX. And prolly finish up with the 9.3x62 the rest of season.

Blkram":3apzitmb said:
Always good to see someone use enough gun! LOL
Lol yep pretty pleased with it so far!

Outstanding!

Congratulations on breaking in the new rifle with a successful hunt.

Guy

Cleveland48":3klm8amq said:
gerry":3klm8amq said:
Way to break in your new Ruger No.1, congrats! You haven't had it for very long and I bet a few weeks ago if someone would have told you about it you might not have believed them [emoji38] Any plans on taking out your 416 Taylor this fall still?
Thanks! Yes the 416 Taylor improved is next up. Really want to see how well it does with the the 350 gr speer mag tips, then with 350 TTSX. And prolly finish up with the 9.3x62 the rest of season.

Awesome! Good luck on your next hunt with the 416 Taylor, a bit less power than the 416 Rem but I'm sure you'll do fine ;)

Well, that rifle/load appears to have been enough to bring that doe home. Congratulations on taking a fine deer.

Congratulations. Good job on load development for a new rifle and good shooting.

Dan

Congratulations on your doe with your 416 Rem Mag. Looks like you had plenty of bullet expansion. The Speer Mag Tip is a pretty good bullet and it will perform well for you. I use them in my 416 Wby at 2900 fps.

JD338

Thanks guys. Gonna try to get one with the Taylor after work today.

Good luck tonight with your hunt!
Below picture shows 416 Wby with the 400 gr PT and Speer 350 gr Mag Tip. Recovered bullets from water jugs.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_135256169.jpg
    IMG_20201123_135256169.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 925
I've shot quite a few critters, including deer, elk, and moose, with a 416 Rem. Most were with the 300tsx and the 350 Mag Tip. It is a hammer on everything. I shoot Mag Tips 2650 and the 300TSX 2960fps.

Good going on the doe. I think the Mag Tip performs better but it will be interested in your finding.

Congrats on a successful hunt! At the risk of sounding like captain obvious, that rifle might be a tad overkill for whitetail. :lol:

Thanks guys, no luck this afternoon. Thougjt it would of been a good evening. But thats how it goes sometimes lol.

JD338":1bca6lqg said:
Good luck tonight with your hunt!
Below picture shows 416 Wby with the 400 gr PT and Speer 350 gr Mag Tip. Recovered bullets from water jugs.

JD338
For some reason I can't see the picture.

IdahoCTD":hvxfztqs said:
I've shot quite a few critters, including deer, elk, and moose, with a 416 Rem. Most were with the 300tsx and the 350 Mag Tip. It is a hammer on everything. I shoot Mag Tips 2650 and the 300TSX 2960fps.

Good going on the doe. I think the Mag Tip performs better but it will be interested in your finding.
I had the 300 TSX up to 2870 or so fps with RL15, but ran out and cant find anymore. Im running the 350 mag tips at 2610 fps from my taylor improved, I worked them up to 2700, but accuracy fell off.

Back