Noah Two-Shot

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
We've teased my grandson, Noah, for several years because he seemed always to require two shots to take chicken (grouse). He has had some tough hunts for moose and deer during the past several years. One year, he shot over the back of a whitetail doe. Another year, he couldn't see a moose, misidentifying it as a "large brown bush." Yesterday, we went out to find Noah a mule deer. I had patterned a herd that included some large mule deer bucks in October. I thought we'd have a decent opportunity for him to get a crack at a buck.

We checked the area in which I had seen several very large mule deer bucks (one of which I had at first thought to be an elk until I could unlimbered by binos and get a good look at last light). There are a couple of large five-point bucks in this area that I had seen. However, that wasn't to be.

So, we pulled up stakes and moved to another area in which a smaller herd of deer had been sighted on several occasions. As we cleared a copse of trees, Noah exclaimed, "Hey, there are some mulies." There was a small two-point buck, a doe and a nice four-point buck. I told him to sit tight and I'd try to negotiate closer.

We were in my Lariat and I pulled out cautiously so that Noah could get out on the side opposite of the deer. I had turned so that it appeared we were moving away, but the deer were nervous. I quickly ranged them at 150 yards and told Noah to get out and use the truck as camouflage. He had chosen to carry the 260 Rem that we had built (Wilson barrel screwed onto a Tikka action). He was shooting 140 grain Swift A-Frames as that was what we were able to quickly grab as we were leaving the house.

His first shot was high (I may have to name Him Noah High Shot). However, he settled down as the buck moved about to sniff the doe. The second shot was perfectly placed behind the right front leg and passing through the lungs. The buck was down in less than ten steps, and Noah was one happy man.

Here are a couple of pictures of his buck.

l01eDVx.jpg

WuCwUfb.jpg

4I3l21P.jpg

Well, he's still Noah Two Shot, but he may just be renamed shortly.

Would appear from the pics that Noah is also a lefty. Another reason to like that kid[emoji3]

Congratulations on the deer, the bonding, the memories made! That deer looks to be in fine shape and large-bodied as well. Should be fine eating! EE2

If you built it and sighted it in for him, he does have Grandpa's vision for an excuse. Just sayin'. I'm looking forward to helping my grandsons soon. I'll endeavor to eliminate excuses based on Grandpa!

Excellent! :) Congrats to Noah - and dang Mike - he's not a little kid anymore!

Guy

Congratulations to Noah and to you, Mike, for your tutelage. Noah Two-Shot looks very pleased. Great buck.

Dan

Congratulations to the both of you. Pretty nice buck, huge body! What's the live weight and dressed weight on those deer up there?

Fine looking young man with a good looking buck. I can't say anything against him taking 2 shots as I did myself last week on a 9pt. Dan.

It just means hes givin' em an even break.... "Two shot".... could be worse. :) Good lookin buck. Better lookin' young man! Congrats! CL

I love him already!

Spotted some bucks got them lined up and executed nicely!

Congratulations to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good one, congratulations!! Fun experience for all involved I'm sure. What's a muley buck like that weigh up in those parts? Looks hefty in the pics.

I am sorry that I am coming in late :(. Congratulations Noah and to Pa as well (y)!!
I have had the pleasure of hunting with both of these gents and it has always been a hoot :mrgreen:.
Mike I could not see those photos of Noah's buck so if you could post them I would really appreciate it. :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back