Got to test out the 35 Rem.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Killed a busted up 6 pt on day 4 of hunting.

Some of you may have seen me post a while back on re-working Remington factory 200 gr core lokt ammo for a 760 Rem that I have.

Long story short I knew the action was built to handle much higher pressures than what 35 Rem is loaded at, so I pulled the bullets and treated it just like a 308, 270, etc that comes chambered in that gun. Ran it up watching primers, extraction, case marks, etc, and stopped short of any seen issues.

Happened to make 1 of the longer woods shots I've ever had a chance at. Buck was stopped uphill in brush with his front end exposed in a gap in the brush. After I shot I stepped off to where he was and got an unscientific 138 steps from where I was sitting, so call it somewhere between 130-145.

Bullet entered low behind the shoulder taking off the top of the heart and exited higher behind the shoulder on the off side. Deer locked up right there for 5 seconds or so then barrel rolled down the hill. Blood everywhere where I hit him.

A 1 off example but I'm thinking that big soft nosed 35 cal bullet leaving at 2310 is gonna be a nemesis on deer at woods ranges. Little bloodshot to speak of and only on the ribs. Just worked dandy.

That’s excellent! Those big 200’s are fierce on deer in the woods.

Congrats on the buck!

Nice! Sounds like perfect performance and a quick kill, had it made it any distance there would have been an easy to follow blood trail. Congrats.

Those old slower bullets pushing heavy lead have a way of killing way out of proportion to what we might expect. Sounds as if it is great performance, which is precisely what you want.

Nice!
Have 200gr ammunition for the Marlin.
Also have a bunch of 180 gr Hot-Cor's to workup a load for the wife for a camp/horseback rifle. She's not a fan of recoil and this should suit her better than the BLR in 358 Win.

Gotta like DRT and rolling down to you, well unless you have to take him back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST,

Congratulations on your buck. Glad you were able to use the Remington 760 35 Remington. That 200 gr SPCL is a buck crusher. Nicely done.

JD338

DrMike":1nn22c3u said:
Those old slower bullets pushing heavy lead have a way of killing way out of proportion to what we might expect. Sounds as if it is great performance, which is precisely what you want.

That’s a fact Mike. Under 200 yards or so they’re mighty hurtful to stuff.

Thanks fella's. They wont all react that way, but that substantial extra velocity with an already great bullet for 35 Rem is gonna be a deer killing nightmare I believe.

I think I got like 13 boxes left of that factory ammo so I got plenty for the future to pull bullets on and reload to that load for this rifle. Gonna save them as they are hard to get right now.

It was light raining so I didn't bother taking any woods pictures, not that it mattered as it's just a busted up buck like we used to always shoot around here, but he'll eat good. Actually walked back to the truck first and got rid of some extra clothes then went back and gutted and drug him out.

Far as future shooting and testing, I'll likely pick up some 180 speer FP's as they come available. With fast powder I'm thinking I'll be able to hit 2400 + with this 760 before I run into any pressure signs.

Salmonchaser, yes he rolled closer to me and the drag was downhill so easy cheezy. Ha.

If you can find some LVR powder, I used it and the 200 grain Remingtons to top 2300... Really accurate stuff as well!

Scotty, LVR would be the only powder I'd probably consider in my old 141 for reloads, as it shows really good speed while staying under Saami pressures for the 35 Rem.

I went a different route for this gun as Hodgdon's data shows 2235 fps with a compressed load of LVR and a 200 cup & core out of a 24" barrel. Rem 760's are 22"

I went with H4895 as it gave me ample room in the case to go up in charge with a 200 gr bullet. I'm well over book max and I know I'm way over Saami standard pressure for a 35 Rem but still under anything that gives a 760 any problems.

I'm saving the pulled factory powder for future use. It's a fine flake powder that only measures 36.5 gr's per case, so must be pretty fast burning powder. I'm going to use that to work up loads for the 180 gr Speers......lots of case room yet to go up in charge.

Congrats on what sounds like one heck of a shot in the timber! Oh and congrats on harvesting a buck too!!!!

Congrats on getting to use your 35 load. Sounds like it did everything you wanted it to. Been carrying my 35 760 but no shot yet. Dan.

Congratulations on your success with your load. Good job on load development and on making a good shot. Dan

Back