Chukar

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
So the new normal for me is hunting w/o Molly Dammit. About six weeks ago she suffered a career ending shoulder injury. First time in eight years I’ve gone without her.
I didn’t shoot well today, hells canyon is unforgiving on a good day, with snow it’s dangerous. Sugar and I only collected a couple but last time I was in this canyon I broke my leg. I consider the day a win.
36292e88fd02f64ab202cd6b74e6fbc2.jpg

f06c975ab7e8ce06f16688156b8d3ecd.jpg

059f96dd681634c5aabd461d09c3bddf.jpg

61e98b9aca80fc2926f6b057dccbe65c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, that's some steep terrain. PERFECT chukar country.

Reminds me of some of the much smaller canyons I hunt around here, for chukar & mule deer.

You broke your leg in there? Oh good grief!

I've about thought that I was going to give myself a heart attack, or fall down some crazy steep slope a few times hunting those danged chukar. You know it's steep when the dog comes over and presses up against your leg, shaking a little. He was scared of where we were. I took that as a good sign to get off that doggone slope!

I'm not doing well on chukar yet this year. Finding a few quail, but chukar have been scarce.

Guy

Looks pretty good from up here. That is steep country, to be sure. That is definitely a bad place to have a broken leg.

Yikes. I managed to dislocate a shoulder on a fall, I was sure it was broke in two...I have a compromised ACL and bone on bone in the right knee. Canyons like that scare me away!

Happy for the successful trip! Glad Sugar is up to work!

I realized long ago that I could not hit a game bird with a shotgun, unless is was tied to a log. I sold my shotguns and have never hunted them again. It was like a great cloud was lifted off my shoulders. I admire those who are successful. Congratulations Don on your birds, and hopefully your dog will enjoy her retirement

I got lucky on my leg, the bone was cracked and dented but not displaced. I used the barrel of my Benelli as a splint. Took three hours to hobble down to the road.
Bill I’m afraid Molly is going to go crazy being retired. I’m just hoping she’ll be able to do a mile or so every day for exercise.

I sent Benelli a letter, and a note from my doctors. They replaced my shotgun barrel for free.

salmonchaser":18jx4wzf said:
I sent Benelli a letter, and a note from my doctors. They replaced my shotgun barrel for free.

That is real customer service. I'd say their response was definitely praiseworthy.

It, the barrel, was pretty messed up. I lashed it to my leg muzzle down. I knew it would get messed up but figured I could hacksaw it shorter.
Yep I’m a Benelli fan.

A good day in the field!
With a great gun, a great dog, and a couple of fine birds to show for the effort, and making it home safely = a fond memory for those days by the fire, with a warm drink, and a dog at your feet!
Does life get any better than that?
I think not!

Sounds like quite an ordeal you went through. Sorry about your dog, glad you made it off the slope and got a new barrel to boot. Dan.

7f16cb7f52396572cffeafa6a9d9763f.jpg

Looking north this morning. That’s Idaho on the far side. I certainly lack Guys skill with the camera but this shot shows how steep the canyon is.
Everyone should try Chucker hunting at least once. Really makes a guy appreciate pheasants and quail.
Pleased to report no significant injuries to any dogs or people. One Remington 1100 was rendered out of service by a fall.

Miss Sugar is a sweetheart. Loves to run big country.

I was Chukar hunting one time and decided to take a short cut off the top. The draw I picked looked good. Except it turned into a rock chute. Luckily it was not a long one. I slid down it. At the bottom I started picking up my loose 20ga shells. They where mixed up with several older 20ga shells. I was not the only idiot that had been chasing Chukar on that ridge.

baltz526":2vhxcol5 said:
I was Chukar hunting one time and decided to take a short cut off the top. The draw I picked looked good. Except it turned into a rock chute. Luckily it was not a long one. I slid down it. At the bottom I started picking up my loose 20ga shells. They where mixed up with several older 20ga shells. I was not the only idiot that had been chasing Chukar on that ridge.
It is country that truly humbled a man.

Back