Sons first jack rabbit

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
Well these CA jackrabbits are a little harder than I imagined, a few times I thought to myself "calling coyotes is easier than this". These suckers just don't stop, the shots are FAR. We had an awesome evening, went with my dad and 9 1/2 year old son. Savage M25 in 17 Hornet, 15.5grn NTX with 9.6 of W296 under it got the rabbits.

We jumped a couple and I was trying to skirt them and push them a little west of us into a large wash, well we pushed them but one stopped easily 275 yards away and honestly it was probably more like 300. He just missed to the right of it with his youth Axis in 223. Then we jumped like 6 and couple stopped way downrange again and again he was so close but missed with the 17 Hornet. Finally we jumped a couple down in the wash and one stopped right at about 100 yards......THWACK. He was super stoked. We left this one for an easy coyote meal but we are gonna try to eat a couple next time. Do a buttermilk soak and slow cook them. He has eaten all kinds of fish and game and really wants to try them so I have no problem supporting the plan.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! Sounds as if your son did a great job. Getting the windage just right is challenging. So glad he connected. And I'm with you on trying game ... at least once!

DrMike":czdqdkxw said:
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Sounds as if your son did a great job. Getting the windage just right is challenging. So glad he connected. And I'm with you on trying game ... at least once!

Thanks! 275 to 300 yards is a poke for a 9 year old LOL........or me. Yeah even with the jacks being year round no bag limit I still don't really like just leaving them, although I am certain it helps out a fox or coyote after the sun sets. We are gonna give it a go next time if we can snag a couple healthy looking ones.

That's great! (y)

It's been a long time since I've hunted jackrabbits, and have to confess that I never ate one. Have eaten quite a few cottontails, long ago.

Congrats to the young hunter!

Guy

Guy Miner":1tus78oq said:
That's great! (y)

It's been a long time since I've hunted jackrabbits, and have to confess that I never ate one. Have eaten quite a few cottontails, long ago.

Congrats to the young hunter!

Guy

Thanks!

Judging by the results and his smile that looks like fun. Good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never hunted them myself but what a way to spend the day with family. Excellent !!

Having a good time in the field hunting big or small game with family or friends is great. Your sons smile is proof. Dan.

Love it! And no... I never ate a jack either, but there was always beef and pheasant in the freezer. The cats ate well and there was a bounty on them when I was growing up. However, Jacks were "targets of opportunity" and "big game" for a kid w/ a .22. That looks like SO much fun and the fact you could do it together is the best part! Officially jealous of the rifle too! Well done! CL

Back