2021 coyote down

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Got this dog today at 325 yards with the 240 WBY and 70g NBT at 3750fps. DRT with a nice 3" exit out the backside.

Attachments

• 20210127_171047.jpg
    20210127_171047.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,930
Good shooting and congratulations on putting the smack on that song dog. Nicely done Jorey.

JD338

Yah it's been an usually warm winter unfortunately Dr. Mike. It was sunny and 45 degrees yesterday. Not the best coyote hunting weather for sure. We've only got snow 1 time this year (this past Monday) and it was only about an inch and it was gone that afternoon :(

Excellent!

Oddly, I found myself looking at 240 Wby loads last night (though I've never owned one) and noted the 3700 fps capability. Cool.

(y)

Guy- Ya you can hit 4100+ with the little 55s, but that's to light and fast, doesnt do much for long range anyway. Lighter faster bullets shed way to much velocity past 300 yards or so as you know. 70s are the lightest I will go, and I think I prefer the 87g VMAX at 3500fps even. If I have a dog at 600-800 yards, I'll have a lot better chance of hitting him with the 87g VMAX over either the 55 or 70.

This 70g NBT at 3750fps combo is zeroed at 300 yards, so I can hold dead on a a dog from 0-350 without even thinking about it. Makes it pretty nice!

I’ve shot a metric ton or two with 6mm 55s at over 4K.... but the furthest one was only a little under 500.

I’ve also killed a pile of them with 105s at about 3k.... the furthest one a little over 1/2 mile.

My favorite way to run the .243 or 6 Creed for coyotes is what I deem “Shock and Awe”.... Shock being the 55s, and Awe being the 105. It’s pretty easy to find loads that shoot the same place. When I was walking into stands, rolling down roads, or on a calling stand.... I had 55s in the mag, zeroed 1” high at 100 (which equaled 2” low at 300). If a long range shot was the soup-de-jour.... then I’d chamber a 105 and dial the dope.

That system has worked very well over the years.

P0RYrHzh.jpg

On yesterday's hike. :) Coyote is safe, I had my 357 mag revolver, no rifle. My bird dog wanted to go get him, but listened to me and didn't run after the 'yote.

Might go back there though, with no friends, no dog, just a rifle... :)

Guy

Guy Miner":1fgjbvbs said:
P0RYrHzh.jpg

On yesterday's hike. :) Coyote is safe, I had my 357 mag revolver, no rifle. My bird dog wanted to go get him, but listened to me and didn't run after the 'yote.

Might go back there though, with no friends, no dog, just a rifle... :)

Guy

Cheeky rascal, isn't he!

Ya, he was loping along, straight towards us. About 150 yards out my dog barked at him. The coyote made a 90 degree turn to the right. I got a few photos of him going up the hill.

It wasn't in a good place for me to start shooting. And all I had was a little short-barreled 357 revolver.

Guy

Dr Mike, I just looked at Dawson Creek weather for curiosity. -17 :shock: Indicated a possible -31 tonight. I can't conceive of that. 52 here in Rock Hill, SC right now. :grin:

Actually, we just got back in from visiting parishioners in the country. It was -34C (-29F). Glad I'm not farther north. It was -74C (-101F) in Nunavut yesterday. Does seem a bit brisk to me. :shock:

Back