loading your trophy

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
looking for ideas , how are you guys loading your deer into your truck ?

I mostly hunt alone . I have a cap on my truck bed , so I can't stand up in the bed to try and get it loaded . I'm looking for ideas on how you guys get it loaded . I have two ideas . one would be a simple stretcher similar to this https://www.liveactionsafety.com/junkin ... 0%24164.87 , only I'd make it with two 2x4's and a couple 50 pound feed sacks . let one end up on the tail gate pull the deer on the stretcher , lift the other end and push it in the bed . my other idea is just a ramp . I have a six foot bed so the ramp would be 6 ft long . I'm not sure how hard it would be to pull a deer up the ramp though . thanks guys .

I have a ice fishing sled that I use. Put the sled on its side along the back of the deer and roll it into the sled. Once at the truck, I lift the front onto the tailgate than lift up the back while pushing. Deer and sled go right up and in. I can spin it around on the tailgate and push rear end first into the back.
Works out perfectly.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_182435678.jpg
    IMG_20201124_182435678.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,372
Thanks for the suggestions !

Sako , that's a neat looking set up .

JD , your using the sled about the way I was thinking on using the stretcher . I'd never thought the sled would be rigid enough to use that way .

Vette , I have one of those , and it is easy to use . my problem is a place I go has a big water hole . I drag the rack , and get the deer full of water .

Jim,

The sled keeps the water out of the body cavity.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_111854786_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181117_111854786_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 2,352
In dad's later years he carried half of an extension ladder that he put lawn mower wheels on one end. He'd set the ladder on the ground with the end with the wheels facing the truck. Load the deer on the ladder and lift the end with the wheels and set it on the tailgate. then just pick up the other end and roll it in. He found that ladder laying under a guardrail while trout fishing, must have came off somebody's truck. It wasn't really fit to be a ladder after coming off the vehicle, but I guess he had re purposing in mind.

You asked about loading; that's different than dragging and moving.

If you want a sled, look for the Shappell Jet Sled.
It's made exactly for this.

I have a hauler for the truck. We're going to weld a piece of 2 1/4" square tubing on it and slide the hoist into. Winching it sure beats lifting. (y)

90% of my game taken, ends up at the truck in 5 or 6 bags strapped to our packs, we throw them in the truck and head to camp. (y)

A little late, but to date, I too use the ice fishing sled like JD. In fact, it’s always in my truck. Works for keeping the load from sliding all over and easy to clean out the sled when done using it. They come in gatherer sizes. I use the Shappel Jet Sled. Mine looks just like Jim’s. I think I got it for $45 on sale early in hunting season. You don’t need snow to pull it on. Tree stands are easy to move in the sled, and not hard to get it over deadfall. Use it for dragging out game and bait(before prohibited again)

We had a couple bears going 450-550# on camera, so we talked about how we’d load it. We came up with the idea of a pulley in the front of the truck bed, rope attached to a
3/4 plywood reinforced with some 2x4 runners. The other end of the rope goes to one of two places, a quad or a tree. Load the game on to said plywood, and tie it on to cleats installed on the plywood( screws have to get into 2x4.
Lift one end on to the tail gate and let the quad pull it up, or anchor it to a stout tree, and carefully drive forward to load. Once it’s in, back up, untie the rope and tie it to the loop in the back of the truck bed. It should be anchored.

We talked about how much weight a tail gate can handle. I’ve seen two big guys at 250 sitting on a tail gate... so if nervous, take it off.

We figured an old rug would help it slide. We didn’t get the monster bear yet.. so it’s just an idea at this point.

We thought a come along could work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually just pull them in by hand and yes I have a Leer topper on.
I did buy a come along in case I came across a very big deer to just winch it in.

Attachments

• 1A9AA0DF-CF3B-4067-8CF4-0ACF1407DB54.png
    1A9AA0DF-CF3B-4067-8CF4-0ACF1407DB54.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,977
I have a sled designed to be pulled behind snowmobiles or by hand. It's rigid and stout. I strap the animal down in it using 1" motorcycle straps and bungee cords depending on where I have to pull the sled with a critter on it. Like Jim said I get one end loaded and then go lift the other end and slide it in. Attaching a motorcycle strap from the sled to one of the tie-downs in the back of the truck is not a bad idea either. That way you can cinch it up as you go and not lose ground so to speak. Loaded a 5 point bull with a friend who shot it this way. It was heavy but we were able to lift it up and in.

I like the idea of the Sako 2's also. Easy to set up and taken down between loading something, plus if need be you can easily skin a deer or antelope and slip it in a game bag to cool the meat and keep it clean if it's warm out.

I have a sled designed to be pulled behind snowmobiles or by hand. It's rigid and stout. I strap the animal down in it using 1" motorcycle straps and bungee cords depending on where I have to pull the sled with a critter on it. Like Jim said I get one end loaded and then go lift the other end and slide it in. Attaching a motorcycle strap from the sled to one of the tie-downs in the back of the truck is not a bad idea either. That way you can cinch it up as you go and not lose ground so to speak. Loaded a 5 point bull with a friend who shot it this way. It was heavy but we were able to lift it up and in.

I like the idea of the Sako 2's also. Easy to set up and taken down between loading something, plus if need be you can easily skin a deer or antelope and slip it in a game bag to cool the meat and keep it clean if it's warm out.

Dr. Vette":3b8yer3n said:

I’ve got the same one for when I’m hunting out of my Jeep. Got it from Harbor Freight for 80.00. Been an awesome addition and man, like he said, it’s nice to keep the blood out of my Jeep and it’s a cinch to get deer on it and then strapped in too.

I don’t normally use much HF stuff but a buddy had the same one for years and it’s been awesome. Works nice in the summer for coolers and crap like that too.

SJB358":88dqy7rg said:
Dr. Vette":88dqy7rg said:

I’ve got the same one for when I’m hunting out of my Jeep. Got it from Harbor Freight for 80.00. Been an awesome addition and man, like he said, it’s nice to keep the blood out of my Jeep and it’s a cinch to get deer on it and then strapped in too.

I don’t normally use much HF stuff but a buddy had the same one for years and it’s been awesome. Works nice in the summer for coolers and crap like that too.

I bought an explorer in 2000 , that's when I bought mine .

jimbires":3dqia05j said:
SJB358":3dqia05j said:
Dr. Vette":3dqia05j said:

I bought an explorer in 2000 , that's when I bought mine .

Wow... sounds like it’ll hold up fine then for me.

Elkman":s061z4fp said:
90% of my game taken, ends up at the truck in 5 or 6 bags strapped to our packs, we throw them in the truck and head to camp. (y)
Bill I was going to say the same thing. I think you and I are living wrong.[emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back