Hammer bullets

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Has anyone gotten any experience with hammer bullets? I have been looking for a hunting bullet for my 6.5 PRC havak and the hammer are one of the few in stock anywhere. I was looking exclusively at the 124 hammer hunter and the 134 shock hunter.

I was thinking the 134 would make a good black bear and caribou bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot a fair amount of them in paper but haven’t taken any animals with them yet. Might try some of the heavier ones in my 7 Mashburn when I get it back. You don’t hear much bad about them.

Did anyone compare them to Lehigh defense?
Lehigh are cheaper, but they seem to fracture more. I had some rather drastic results with them from the Creedmoor with shoulder hits.

But on the other hand I saw them fall after a few steps with pure lung hits...

They seem to be milder with lighter weights. Less material to shed I suppose.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I bought the 80gr Hammer Hunters for my 9 twist 243 Win and they shoot excellent. 3/8" group at 100 running about 3400 fps with StaBall from a 22" barrel. I haven't shot any game yet, but shot them into gallon water jugs at 20 yards and they are very tough. Went through 4 jugs, completely destroyed the first 2 and the shank of the bullet, which also mushroomed weighed over 50grs. There were pieces in the other jugs as well. I also bought some of the Absolute Hammers in 140gr for my 280 Rem, but haven't shot them yet.

The bullets are very uniform, all weighing and measuring the same, so they were very easy to load.

Steve, one of the owners, was also very helpful and quick to respond to an email question.

AFG270":2h8i3x6w said:
I bought the 80gr Hammer Hunters for my 9 twist 243 Win and they shoot excellent. 3/8" group at 100 running about 3400 fps with StaBall from a 22" barrel. I haven't shot any game yet, but shot them into gallon water jugs at 20 yards and they are very tough. Went through 4 jugs, completely destroyed the first 2 and the base of the bullet, which also mushroomed weighed over 50grs. There were pieces in the other jugs as well. I also bought some of the Absolute Hammers in 140gr for my 280 Rem, but haven't shot them yet.

The bullets are very uniform, all weighing and measuring the same, so they were very easy to load.

Steve, one of the owner was also very helpful and quick to respond to an email question.

Echo that again. The man that runs it is excellent. Honest to God good fella.

I had 2 boxes of his Shock Hammers in less than a week. The accuracy with my .338 Federal is hands down amazing. He replies to emails quickly. Top notch outfit.

Just ordered 100 of the 6.5. 124 hammer hunters

Thebear_78":35oo882u said:
Has anyone gotten any experience with hammer bullets? I have been looking for a hunting bullet for my 6.5 PRC havak and the hammer are one of the few in stock anywhere. I was looking exclusively at the 124 hammer hunter and the 134 shock hunter.

I was thinking the 134 would make a good black bear and caribou bullet.

124 absolute hammer

I haven't bothered with the "absolute" version but I shot a doe which was facing me with a 124 HH bullet from the Creedmoor. The bullet shank exited the rear flank. Those bullets are hard to stop.

Back