Polar Bear, 1920

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Native hunter with his polar bear, supposedly about 1920. I am impressed:

P7o9GJdh.jpg

Gutsy! That's for sure. Pity we can't have a description of the hunt.

Basically hunting an apex predator with a 20# bow and field tips. Very nice shooting. Lookin at the arrow angle, I could speculate he got the bear to stand close by and let two fly fast. Maybe that arrow in the leg was to cripple them so he could get an open shot on the chest cavity. Definitely a good hunter in any era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that was exciting for sure. Good shot placement 2 out of 3 whatever the story. Dan.

From the angle of arrows I would say the bear was facing him and standing on hind legs or less likely asleep . Unless the rear shaft is a tranquilizer delivery system .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Guy, this was and is still common. Dogs will not only distract but will usually get them to stand and when he does the best opportunity for the hunter is at that moment.

It would be my guess that he had decided to run from the dogs instead of fighting when first surrounded and was therefore shot in the hind quarters in an attempt to get get him to stop and fight. when "fighting" they will at some point stand when surrounded by dogs and that will provide the shot.

I would not be surprised if the second arrow in the chest was from a different hunter who was with him

Very interesting Cheyenne. What you are saying makes sense. Although it's not apparent in the photo, it almost looks like there is some sort of "hunting tip" like a 2 blade broadhead on the arrows that the hunter is holding.
Thanks for your insight.

JD338

Thankful Otter":u3155k3i said:
Guy, this was and is still common. Dogs will not only distract but will usually get them to stand and when he does the best opportunity for the hunter is at that moment.

It would be my guess that he had decided to run from the dogs instead of fighting when first surrounded and was therefore shot in the hind quarters in an attempt to get get him to stop and fight. when "fighting" they will at some point stand when surrounded by dogs and that will provide the shot.

I would not be surprised if the second arrow in the chest was from a different hunter who was with him

Seems entirely reasonable to me. Thanks! (y)

Jim, If in Nunavut, probably ivory but maybe bone. Y.T or N.W., probably bone.

We still have young hunters make their first bow, arrows and spear. Wood, bone, ivory, stone, skin---nothing store bought

We also still teach the spiritual beliefs of our ancestors. in regards to polar's "If a hunter treats a dead polar with respect and uses all the "product" of the bear, it will tell the living bears so that when we are hungry, one will make itself available to us."

When one attacks, I assume he didn't get the message that we are good people

Mark -- thank you

p.s. Jim, after reading your post again, I actually did not address your point. I dont know from the photo any more than what I have already said and that was a guess, but I am sure I am right about the hunting technique, but have no idea specifically what his hunting tools are made from . What hunting technique do you believe he used ?

Cheyenne,

I have no knowledge of how those big bears were/are hunted but what you thought and explained does make sense to me.
As for the arrow heads, I would have assumed either stone or bone. I never thought of ivory but that would be another excellent material to use.
It's fascinating to learn the culture and utilizing everything from the animals taken. Infact I would like to share this in future hunter safety classes that Sue and I teach.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

JD338

I watched a tv program recently called 'the terror' and the failed discovery of the North West Passage, is was as factual as it could be, and was equally entertaining as it was educational.
But they included a fictional beast called a Tuunbaq that terrorised the explorers, I think it more likely in their failing health (scurvy/lead poisoning) it was a polar bear.
Worth a watch though.

Back