your 2021 hunting plans ?

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
what plans do you guys have in the works ? the Kansas guys got together yesterday , I bought my Kansas hunting license and applied for my deer license . with another group of guys , I have a deposit paid for a Newfoundland moose hunt . so far this hunt isn't looking to good due to covid 19 . I was looking a couple weeks ago ,and it looks like a hassle at the border . hopefully things change in a few months .

Staying here in Washington for hunting this year. I'll be making a couple of big road & camping trips with the camera to do some wildlife photography, but that's not real hunting.

Mule deer up north in Okanogan County, not real far from the Canadian border, with my youngest son. He'll be 30 and I'll be 65 this fall. We always enjoy hunting together! The deer there tend to be big bodied, we're having fun talking about which rifles we'll take. Pretty sure any of them will have Nosler bullets. I'm thinking that I'll use either my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One, or the 30-06 Remington 700 CDL. Both have worked well for me. John will likely use his 30-06 Model of 1917 again.
IvyEVvNl.jpg

Hunting elk not far from home, with a bow. Having fun practicing with both the 70# PSE compound and the 53# Hoyt recurve. I'll be looking for spike or cow elk, depending where and when I'm hunting.
qssOn3Ol.jpg

Bear.... It's been a few years since I shot a bear. Last black bear was 2016, and of course the big fellow up north in 2017. I think I'd like to whollop another bear this year if I can.
bHD5TcYl.jpg

Those tags are already in hand, simple over-the-counter tags. I'll be applying soon for "special" tags, and we'll see what we get!

PHEASANT, chukar, quail, and grouse are all going to get chased around the hills too. :) Dog and I are both looking forward to it. Hoping to nail a grouse or a pheasant with an arrow this year! Quail and chukar? They're hard enough for me while using a shotgun! LOL! :mrgreen:
v7guvSgl.jpg

Guy

I didn't draw anything at all, so all OTC tags for me.

May is a week long spring bear trip in a new area for me- my partners did it last year and the area is thick with bears so it should be a good time.

August and September- I'm planning to hit the Dalton with my bow. That'll be a change for me in some new country as well. Some of those months I'll go south to hunt grizzlies with my partner who has a moose tag for that area.

Most likely do the registration hunts for the 40 Mile for caribou and Fairbanks archery moose later in the year.

I'll fill in the gaps with birds depending on what's happening.

In the draw for New Mexico mule deer and elk. If no joy, it'll be otc Colorado elk.

Hit mega millions and off to Marco Polo sheep for a month. Hey a guys gotta hope, right

sounds good Fellas . I enjoy reading what you guys plans are , then the pics of beautiful country and successful hunts .

Turkey in may.

Have three trips to Canada potentially, two for fishing, one bear.

White tail after that in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk in October, November, and perhaps late November and early December. I have no general hunts planned, my hunts depend upon the draw.

I have a Canadian bear hunt with my son paid for last year (covid cancelled). Haven't heard if it's a go this year but I have my doubts. I've been threatening a prairie dog hunt for to many years now probably South Dakota maybe June. Anyone interested? I over hunted my local deer spot last year, so will try some new areas this year.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Last year's Ontario moose hunt was COVID-moved to this September. However, I think the odds of it occurring given the state of the border is very small at best.

Assuming that, we will put in for WY antelope in late May unless the Canadian government makes a notable change on border policy in the next 6 weeks.

A couple have asked me and all I can tell you is that

The Territories are still closed to anyone outside of Canada and even Canadians from outside the Territories must quarantine for two weeks ----however; the Territories are now allowing Canadians to fly in and change planes that will take them directly to the hunting camp and are able to "quarantine" for the two weeks, while hunting.

The problem is few in Canada have the money that it takes to hire an Outfitter, as most outfitters are booked for 2021, 2022, and taking reservations for 2023 and at HIGHER PRICES .

Hunts for moose, bear, goat and sheep have gotten ridiculously high. It is real easy to drop 40000 to 50000 American dollars, and that does not include a Dall or Stone, as those hunts will cost you that much just for one of them. One fellow has a hunt booked for 80000.00

However; to answer Jim's question . I am looking forward to another Whale hunt this year. We will probably also hunt Dall this year, as we are out of sheep meat. I will assist, but will not hunt, three animals that are not common to everyone on the forum, except HodgemanAK and other Alaskans and Canadians-- white bear, muskox, walrus, but I will get meat and hide for my assist.

Jim.== moose, caribou, bison, are our super market hunts each year (-;

I'm in for muzzleloader deer and all LE/Trophy hunts in UT and cow elk in WY. I'll put in for the drawing for deer, elk, and antelope here in ID plus try to buy a second elk tag again. I'll also put in for a cow in UT next month. This spring I'm taking my boys for their first turkey hunt and my oldest bear hunting for the first time. If Covid lets up we'll head to Puerto Rico for iguanas again for Thanksgiving. We have some airline credits to burn by the end of the year from a trip scheduled last spring. After that I bought my kids a Sika deer hunt in Maryland for December. I'm supposed to go on a 10 day Mule deer, Coues Deer, and Whitetail deer hunt in Mexico in January too but if things aren't good it will have to wait a year.

Get my shoulders healed so I can hunt this fall. 10 1/2 months 4 shoulder surgery's total!!

3 - Left shoulder - May torn rotator cuff, bicep tear, bone spur. 5 months PT - shoulder not right. MRI showed bicep muscle completely tore out and retracted. Could not be fixed. Waited until after hunting season to do the fix.

December - total shoulder replacement surgery - left shoulder

January - infection in shoulder - back in the next morning for surgery to open it up and hopefully get all of the infection cleaned out. 6 months of antibiotics to follow until July. Then off of those to see if the infection is gone. IF it got to the metal apparatus that will mean another total left shoulder surgery to replace it. Know more then.

March - right shoulder surgery - tear in rotator cuff I'M OVER IT!

So I'll probably draw a moose and sheep tag. (Sure I will!). Hunt elk and deer and birds (ducks & upland). Archery is out this year for obvious reasons. Call coyotes and wolves starting December 1st.

Nice Photos Guy ! The only Tag out of State I applied for Colorado Elk. Yuk

I will Deer hunt Iowa and Might go to Montana to shoot a Doe if I have time to see my Brother as he moved to the Bitterroot Valley.

Pheasant & Waterfowl in Iowa as always.

6mm Remington":2jw8b02i said:
Get my shoulders healed so I can hunt this fall. 10 1/2 months 4 shoulder surgery's total!!

3 - Left shoulder - May torn rotator cuff, bicep tear, bone spur. 5 months PT - shoulder not right. MRI showed bicep muscle completely tore out and retracted. Could not be fixed. Waited until after hunting season to do the fix.

December - total shoulder replacement surgery - left shoulder

January - infection in shoulder - back in the next morning for surgery to open it up and hopefully get all of the infection cleaned out. 6 months of antibiotics to follow until July. Then off of those to see if the infection is gone. IF it got to the metal apparatus that will mean another total left shoulder surgery to replace it. Know more then.

March - right shoulder surgery - tear in rotator cuff I'M OVER IT!

So I'll probably draw a moose and sheep tag. (Sure I will!). Hunt elk and deer and birds (ducks & upland). Archery is out this year for obvious reasons. Call coyotes and wolves starting December 1st.

I hear very little good about shoulder repair . most of what I hear is what you're going through . hang in there , hopefully things start to go your way .

Not sure on my schedule yet, the project is taking longer than expected so likely I will be up north of the border again this year.
I can tell everyone that traveling back and forth into Canada is even harder now then it was 6 months ago.
Fingers crossed my rotation schedule puts me home for 2 weeks during hunting season and I will take the daughters out for deer and elk. Still waiting to hear from them if they want to put in for their antelope tags, pretty sure they would get them this year with the points they have. Also with it looking most likely that I will be here in BC Canada maybe I look into a local goat hunt.... or go see the Dr.

Slimfinn":1r3ptcnn said:
Not sure on my schedule yet, the project is taking longer than expected so likely I will be up north of the border again this year.
I can tell everyone that traveling back and forth into Canada is even harder now then it was 6 months ago.
Fingers crossed my rotation schedule puts me home for 2 weeks during hunting season and I will take the daughters out for deer and elk. Still waiting to hear from them if they want to put in for their antelope tags, pretty sure they would get them this year with the points they have. Also with it looking most likely that I will be here in BC Canada maybe I look into a local goat hunt.... or go see the Dr.

Well, if you don't mind tagging along with an old guy, I'm pretty certain the Doc could find some time to see what's shaking up in the mountains.

Back