Wild boar

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My better half wants to hunt wild boar. She is all fired up about it. Does any one have a line on a pig hunting outfit? I need to get this done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SC,

Nice. Nothing better than fresh pork.
Are you thinking about a local hunt or more of an adventure road trip hunt?

JD338

When you say "wild boar," are you thinking of feral pigs or are you thinking of Russian boar? I should imagine the latter would be somewhat less common, whereas the former is growing too common. I like the idea of pig hunting in TX from helicopters and at night.

We’re talking feral pigs; I think. I’ll clarify that. Adventure road trip most likely. Hook up the airstream sometime after elk season and head south.
She spent quite a bit of time in Black Hawks while in Afghanistan, she might really get a kick out of shooting out of one. I swear to God every time one goes over she says something like “thanks for coming to get me”.

Since you're in OR it's going to be a good hop to get to any 'hot spot' to poke some bacon. TX, FL, GA are really good for a short/put one (or 3) in the freezer. but I think the best bang for your hard earned $$ is Hawaii.

Flight prices won't be that out of line, it's a Great Vacation and you have the option for Mouflon, Spanish goats, Axis deer, Turkeys and some world class fishing t boot.

A few spots in Tennessee I’ve looked at on google for the pure blood Russian boars. I’m thinking they may be high fence though, but I’m not certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If ya went to FL you could add snake wrangling.

My wife and I walked through a swamp during the dry season. We spotted a couple 200# hawgs...unfortunately, they made it no hunting in that swamp..father in law took quite a few out of there...

Florida is really tough on trespass.

Make sure you know your clear on where you can hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol works.

My father in law nearly got himself in deep trouble hunting with his pump shotgun. 5 one ounce deer slugs.

Lead flattens out on pig skulls...atleast on big mean ones charging him... last slug went in through the ear...

He switched to 3030 jacketed. No more close calls...

Maybe you should carry back up. A nice hog by handgun would be awesome!

Used to be some good wild pig hunting in northern California - near Redding. Not sure what's avail anymore.

Guy

I’m looking into California a little, just don’t like going there too much.
Yes, I’ll be Carrying a back up.
Probably end up in Texas, planning to take the Airstream to Arizona this winter since I’ve retired the dogs from guiding upland hunts. Probably just drift over and spend a little time there. I’ve never actually been to Texas!

Well, put an Axis deer and Black Buck on your bucket list!
88abf60410e108f1d343b38a5a680387.jpg

f35023d68e6df2460dae60fb24bc6dc1.jpg

Both are invasive. Fairly easy to get permission to harvest... so I am told.
I have not hunted these yet.. but how could one say no to mounts like those?

I think we have some friends in Texas who could add color.

Read a little bit on them. Texas considers them livestock like sheep or cattle. There is no “season”. Basically you need the land owners permission.
The reference I was reading was on axis. I believe black buck is similar. Definitely worth looking into.

I’m looking into California a little, just don’t like going there too much.
Yes, I’ll be Carrying a back up.
Probably end up in Texas, planning to take the Airstream to Arizona this winter since I’ve retired the dogs from guiding upland hunts. Probably just drift over and spend a little time there. I’ve never actually been to Texas!
Black Buck and Axis would be nice and I probably wont have a choice if I show her the post.

salmonchaser":2i4ylsc0 said:
Oh, and she wants to do it with her pistol.

I killed one many years ago with ruger blackhawk in 44 magnum. Used 300 gr XTP, and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Colbran, Colorado ( right out of Grand Junction) has hogs. I've shot exotics there too.
High Adventure Ranch, (fly into Springfield, MO and drive down an hour or so) has Hogs/Exotics
Four Seasons Hunting (Dan Moody) Nixon, Texas can fix you up for any hog or exotics hunt.
I've also hunted "Raging Russians" up on the UP of Michigan. Pure Eurasians there ( average 200# but THE BEST EATING THERE IS!!)
Take that girl wherever she wants, she earned it! :)

We are overrun with Pigs in Florida. I've taken my share with a .223 and 65 grain Sierra BT's. They are corn lovers so a feeder is an excellent idea. The pigs down here grow to "very" substantial size and also grow tusks that will give you pause. There's a lot of outfitters that will take you out for a reasonable price, clean the hog and have it processed very reasonably.

Thanks for the reports. Florida will be nice after a summer in Alaska and a fall hunting deer and Elk in Oregon and Montana.

Back