Plan for the 2021 Elk load

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
For the annual land owner elk harvest this year I’ve decided to try the Pre 64 Model 70 in 30.06. I was kicking around the idea of using an old silver tip or bronze point bullet but I’ve switched directions on that.

I’ve got some 180 grain Nosler Accubonds with hunter orange tips. If I can work up a decent grouping load with those I think they should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An excellent choice of rifle and load. The 180 grain AB should allow you to work up a good load in short order. The '06 will stand you in good stead with your hunt.

Dad and GrandPap had both , Rem bronze points and Win silvertips . I forget why they didn't like them for deer hunting . maybe to tough of a bullet ? the AccuBond for an elk is a perfect bullet . good luck on the hunt .

The 30-06 and the 180 gr Nosler AccuBond should work great for elk, as well as for many other game animals. :)

I'm debating between a 70# PSE compound and a 53# Hoyt recurve... I like the Hoyt better but the compound has undeniable advantages.

Both shoot pretty well. LOL! When I shoot well.

Guy

An American classic, you will be well armed for elk. The 180 gr AB will get the job done.

JD338

Awesome rifle!
Cartridge is the ONE!
fantastic bullet!
Now all you need is IMR4350 and/or H4350

Good hunting and good luck.

Doesn't get too much better than that combo for all around'ness.

Those orange tipped AB's are pretty cool!

Back