Tactacam Ground Squirrel

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Just some footage of a ground squirrel shot. Only about 35 yards.
This is with an airgun and filmed with a Tactacam 5.0 Film Through Scope system. Nothing to do with Nosler but gives some idea of the system results while waiting for the big game seasons and some real hunting. https://youtu.be/27rtoDVJdog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing.
I rediscovered adult spring air rifles about 3 years ago and now own 4 in calibers .177-.25.
They are deadly on varmints up to and including ground hogs. The good ones don't come cheap and can be as expensive as a good cartridge rifle. You can shoot them as they come out of the box but most need to be tuned and some require special scope mounts since they are scope killers if you get the magnum variety like I shoot.
You should a tin of 500 pellets through them before you do anything to one since they need a break in period just like cartridge guns.

Got started late last year and now own 4 in .177, .22, .25 and .30.
Been shooting a .177 Air Arms S510 but sighted in the .22 Hatsan Gladius this afternoon and thinking of trying to out.

Gets me out and shooting every day and hopefully it will help improve my shooting ability.

Got some load development and sighting in work to do with the powder burners before hunting season.

Still spreading them out a little bit.
10 shots at 37 yards. Had it sighted in for 50 but decided to set it up for closer.
2ac6999404f47972b8cfbe552254dde4.jpg

be17dbb54ad9cd607f9ff779b481278b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty neat video. Thanks for posting it.

This reminds me that my grandkids “borrowed” my Gammo
and never brought it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a GAMO 1500 that I used on the ground sqirrels in my back yard. Supposedly did 1,500 FPS but chrono'd at 1,200 with regular lead pellets. Seems you need to use a brass colored light weight pellet to get hat 1,500 FPS. Trigger was adjustable and the gun is very accurate. Head shot ground squirrels just shake their heads on a head shot and run to their holes. Funny thing is I never see them again. Must be magic pellets as they run to self bury or something. Haven't seen any since sometime last year. Either they died from a bad concussion or left for parts unknown after getting over a severe headache.
Paul B.

truck driver":2nduvn92 said:
Gee Paul you sure your not using rubber pellets? :grin:

Sometimes I wonder about that myself. But when the light is right, I cas see the pellet in flight and the strike. Apparently no penetration on head shots and the few chest shots I tried, no apparent penetration. I even found a couple of the pellets on the ground. Still, the north wall of my back yard is cinder blocks and that pellet knocks a decent chunk out of that wall at ten yards, roughly the same distance my shots are on those ground squirrels. Damned if I know.
Paul B.

PJGunner":rfi7ibq1 said:
truck driver":rfi7ibq1 said:
Gee Paul you sure your not using rubber pellets? :grin:

Sometimes I wonder about that myself. But when the light is right, I cas see the pellet in flight and the strike. Apparently no penetration on head shots and the few chest shots I tried, no apparent penetration. I even found a couple of the pellets on the ground. Still, the north wall of my back yard is cinder blocks and that pellet knocks a decent chunk out of that wall at ten yards, roughly the same distance my shots are on those ground squirrels. Damned if I know.
Paul B.
Counterintuitive I know, but try slowing them down. Go too fast and pellets don’t stabilize in flight. I’m only sending them at 950 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back