Expected accuracy off a tripod?

TNBillyEarl

Beginner
Jan 31, 2021
I picked up a used Pig Tripod, Sunwayfoto ball, and Hog Saddle this week. This morning I went and shot while sitting on my bum. What kind of accuracy should I expect? Off a bag at 200 yards I shoot under .5 MOA. Prone with a bipod I shoot the same. This morning I was 1.5 MOA seated shooting off the tripod (and was 1" lower than off a bag or prone). Is there anyway to get rid of the wobble and shoot better, or is that as good as I can expect?

-B

That's still great shooting. Keep in mind that this was your first outing with a new shooting platform. I think you should get out a few more times and get acclimated with the tripod.
Shooting off the bench or prone is more stable than other positions. I think you should be able to turn in some tighter groups.

JD338

What JD338 said - first try at a new way of shooting for you. Going to take a bit to build the skills.

Guy

When I use a bipod or tripod I either lean/load into the bipod or I support the rear of the rifle as well. I made a 524yd shot on my elk this year from a sitting position using a high bipod and my internal framed backpack in my armpit/under my rifle's butt. It was a rock solid setup.

I'm a bit late...

Muleman and JD338 give good advice.

I'm not very familiar with that tripod or ball head but a 1.5 MOA group at 200 yards from a tripod is good shooting in my book. You should be able to tighten it up with practice, adjusting your sling position / tension and maybe changing out some equipment (I just don't know that ball head at all)...

I would suggest taking a look at: https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/03/ ... le-review/. Especially the section on how to steady a shot with a sling, and the chart comparing weights / torque on the tripod.

To quote:
For the entire day, my average group size for shots fired standing was 2.6 MOA. I was much more stable knelling or sitting. Shooting from a solid standing position was a completely new experience for me, and I’m sure you could tighten that up considerably with practice. As I mentioned before, some USMC Scout Snipers have reported confirmed hits out to 1200 meters standing while using the HOG Saddle … so you can get really accurate with this same exact setup with practice.

Many thanks. Leaning in makes a difference in the basement; and the write-up on PRB was insightful. I hope to practice later this month.

B

Back