200 gr ELDX

AzDak42":5a7bu6wk said:
My theory on the ELDX, especially at magnum velocities is shoot heavy for caliber bullets.

I setup my 300WM using the 212g and I'm at 2900 or so at the muzzle. At 300 yards, it's already under 2500fps. Nothing that will tear up a big, heavy cup and core. I'm not sure I'd go lighter than that.

I think the LRABs are probably a better constructed bullet. But I'm having to shoot less ELD-Xs to get great groups. LRABs take a bit to dial in.

What powder are you using? I have some 200gr ELD-X to try in my 300WM.

My concern about the Hornady ELDX is the premise of hunting at long range. Hornady has greatly restricted their market for their bonded bullets (Interbond) for a target/hunting bullet. Nosler has kept their excellent AccuBond at the forefront of their market share. Overall I stuggle with the need for long range bullets. Hitting an elk at over 400 yards after huffing up a hill at 9000 feet is a tall task. I guess I am more at odds with the long range hunting than Hornady's decision to back off of the Interbond.
The last elk I shot was at 80 yards. I worked very hard to get as close as possible. I'm still pulling Wyoming sharp objects out of my knees.

Shoot the 200gr Accubonds and don't look back. Easy to tune and very predictable terminal performance IMO.

I have only a wee bit of experience with ELDX bullets. 143’s in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 162’s in my 280 AI. The 6.5 did well on a good sized,weight wise buck. Exited with good blood trail and expired within 15 yards. Looking at the inside of the chest cavity it looked like a lot of trauma but impact was within 20 yards albeit out of a Creedmoor. Second one out of my AI. I pulled a bad shot and hit a 2” frozen alder branch. It was about the same color as the deer and ran the same line as the front leg. Excuses, excuses but it was about five feet short of the deer and when I hit it the bullet and branch exploded. Hair and a few flecks of blood but no deer. Not even after tracking for over a mile. I’m not condoning brush busting or expecting them to blow through trees. But, I’ve hit branches before with different bullets and have had much different results. I hunt in thick cover from time to time and it happens. I’m not throwing them out yet and will need more than a sample of two before I cast judgement. They’re accurate and aren’t hard to get to shoot but, they seem fragile.

7mm Rem Mag, 162 eldx started at 3k, 4 elk, 100-400 yards, one shot each. Unremarkable blood shot, farthest recovery was 90 feet.

A bunch of bucks and another bull, 7mm-08, 150 eldx, 100-400 yards, one shot each. Unremarkable blood shot, farthest recovery was 60 feet.

I’m a believer.

Back