Accubond on Elk

WYcoyote

Beginner
Jan 15, 2010
I shot a 5pt bull elk this fall with a 180gr AB out of a 300 Win Mag @ 3100 fps muzzle vel. He was moving 100yds away and the bullet broke the near side shoulder and continued thru the far shoulder with less bone contact and was found just under the hide. Retained weight was 82.7 gr and all that was left is basically a blown jacket. The damage was quite extensive, he dropped out of my line of sight but was pretty much dead right there. I hoped for a little better weight retention but it was a fairly severe test for a bullet.
Just thought I'd share this experience so you guys can apply it when you make your bullet choice.

029.jpg

030-1.jpg

Man, that is AWESOME! Great performance. Pretty hard to capture those 180's out of a 300WM. Scotty

6mm Remington":1onylcj5 said:
Tough bullet and one tough test! Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

How are you coming with your sons WSM David? Still waiting to hear how it works out. Scotty

Yeah, that looks like a used bullet. It made an elk dead. I have yet to re-use a bullet, looks to me you got all the use out of that one on the first go.

Happy hunting.

officerdare":swgay4jl said:
What recipe did you use on the 180AB?

What cartridge are you looking at? If the 300 WSM, RL17,19 and H4831 worked well for me.

Anything RL19,22,25, H1000, 7828 should have you doing well pretty quickly.

Back