30-06 165 gr. Accubond

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
30-06 at 100 yards in gallon water jugs.
E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

Middle bullet is the 30-06 165 gr. AccuBond. Muzzle velocity of about 2940 fps.

Bottomside.jpg

Bullets on either side are out of a 6mm Remington.

Excellent performance of the ultimate bullet for the 30-06. This one we needed to see, David.

Great results! I hope to use that bulet to punch a hole in a Minnesota black bear in a couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing.

I have not tried to shoot these into water jugs or phone books but the picture below is what I have recovered from deer, elk and bear.

Great performance so far. :)

Our meat moose was taken this year with a 165 AccuBond out of a .30-06. The muzzle velocity is 2850 out of an original factory barreled pre-64 Model 70 (1949 vintage I believe).

It was a young two year old standing broadside at about 240 yards. It was a double lung, complete pass through.......... on impact it trotted about 20 yards in a half circle and fell over. Good expansion on entrance, hit a rib, nice big hole through the lungs about 2 inches in diameter, exited between two ribs on the off side.

Can't ask for better than that. Pretty much picture perfect performance.

Excellent performance, I'd say. Welcome to the forum, Mooswa, and thanks for posting your contribution.

Good to know I use them in my 308 Finnwolf

They do look like some excellent bullets. Might have to try them out in my little 308. Still haven't done much with that and the 165 seems about perfect for the 308. Scotty

So, what's with the change of handle, sjb358? Man, you almost threw me there for a moment.

Just wanted to get my name off the interweb a little. It is tough to do it with other places, but I mainly read/post here, so it was the first place to try.

Plus, I like that 358 part... Has a nice ring to it :twisted:

I was wondering who SJB358 was too Scotty, doesn't hurt to change things up a bit though :)

That and the post count. :!:

Sounds like good medicine!! I use the 165gr NAB in my 30-06 and feel it is the ideal round for WTs and Blackies.

:lol: Scottbird that name change is pretty coooool................. you are the corner stone of the 35 caliber, on the internet no matter what your handle is!!!! :mrgreen: By the way that 58grs of W748 works PERFECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nice

I too thought for a second, who the heck is this guy! :grin: Anything 35 could only be one person :!: A dead giveaway for sure. :mrgreen: :lol: Mine isn't nearly as obvious! :lol: :mrgreen:

35 Whelen":2uj2y6kk said:
:lol: Scottbird that name change is pretty coooool................. you are the corner stone of the 35 caliber, on the internet no matter what your handle is!!!! :mrgreen: By the way that 58grs of W748 works PERFECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nice

Yeah, I figured it might throw a few of you off for ten minutes of so!

That 58 grain load sounds excellent. I run the same powder in the 358 with 225's. So far I haven't found a better for speed or accuracy.

6mm Rem - Did you weigh that recovered bullet or measure the expanded diameter?

I was just thinking that we've got several different .30 cal, 165 Noslers recovered now, w/results. Might be interesting to compare them. Yes, I know your .30-06 is starting them out about 200 fps faster than my .308 or .30-06 rifles... But your jug targets were at 100 yards, not 20 yards like mine anyway.

My results:

165 Nosler Partition at 2750 fps, from the .30-06: Recovered from the 5th jug weighing 107 grains, and measuring .62" dia:
IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

165 Nosler Ballistic tip at 2750 fps, from the .308 Win: Recovered from the 5th jug. Expanded diameter is .67" and retained weight is 112 grains.
IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

Interesting to me that the Partition and the Ballistic Tip demonstrated such similar performance. It looks to me like your AccuBond may have delivered similar numbers too, but that's just a guess, from looking at the photos you posted.

Guy I don't remember the jug number it was in now. It's on one of these sites someplace. I pulled out the bullet after reading your post and measured it for you. (For some reason I'm not getting e-mail updates any longer on topics I make a comment on. I've probably missed a lot of questions and things because of that. Sorry)

It was as follows
Weight: 115 grs. on the button
Diameter: .650 as best as I could get on the widest points.

Guy I checked in the Nosler manual for a fps reading at 100 yards with my slightly higher muzzle velocity. It read that if it was going 2900 fps that it would be 2700 fps at 100 yards, so our actual impact fps should be within 50 fps or really close which makes it a pretty good comparison! I'm glad you asked and I happened to catch this comment of yours. :wink:

David

Very interesting - each of the three - the AccuBond, Ballistic Tip and the Partition, all had very similar performance...

To me, that means they're ALL good bullets!

Well I cant speak about the AccuBond bullet at all, although I now am the proud owner of 10 boxes of the Nosler Trophy ammo with this bullet weight so will most certainly know more about it as the years go by. I will throw this into the mix. Again the total body mass of the animal has everything to do with what bullet one should use. For hunting Whitetail Deer, we found many years ago, that Partition bullets didnt work nearly as well for us, when driven at the same speed as standard Corelokt type bullets. We had mostly pass thrus, and on Whitetail Deer I got alot better results and many more instantanious kills with Ballistic Tips then we ever did with Partitions. I like Partition bullets on larger game; but really found them to be just the opposite of what we had the best luck with on deer.From all the test I see on the AccuBond it looks like it penatrates aleast as far as a Partition if not deeper??
We have guys show up here at the lodge all the time, for deer hunting with us; with boxes of custom loaded premium bullets, and many times they are of a very heavy weight, H framed and bonded , that would infact be perfect on Moose or Elk; but they want to use them to hunt deer??, then because of the nature of the woods here; and how fast you may need to shoot, they wind up hitting the deer in a less than desireable spot, and not the perfect placement they had hoped for. Now you have a deer hit with a bullet that sails right thru the deers paunch, or some other area that isnt vital or offering enough resistance to get the bullet to expand correctly . Over the years this has lead to many a wild goose chase; with a buck trying everything he can think of to get away . Usually ending up in the water of a beaver flowage or down into the river.....................
Many times this may have been ended alot sooner, had the hunter been using a bullet that would expand much more rapidly, and transfer all or most of its energy compeatly into the deer , even if it is not in the perfect place. A good example was many years ago I noticed that Buck deer when hit with a 130gr Corelokt from a .270 shot in the paunch, acted very differently than the same deer did when hit thur the paunch with a 180gr 30/06.[Some of the longest chases come from that combo] In years to come, I think there will be alot more data, on just how the shock wave, coming off from the back of the bullet as it passes thru the animal, and how far away from the wound channel it does devistation effect, will be more commonly known. But I think its for sure if the bullet decellerates rapidly and explodes inside a deer before ever exiting; you are going to see some dramatic kills that may have been pass thrus, with a premium bullet designed for game over 500lbs.
As for right now for us I will take a smaller lighter jacketed bullet everytime, for deer sized game, and leave the big heavy bullets for what they were really designed for bigger and heavyer game!
I will be trying the 165gr Accubonds on something over 400/500lbs and would expect excellent results, or a deer shot right thru both shoulders again excellent results. However a deer sized animal shot anywhere else I would expect a passthru shot with most of the energy of the bullet winding up down into the trees behind the deer .......................so for deer for us; its Ballistic Tips. But for larger game; I will be surprised if the AccuBond doesnt go down in Nosler history as another sucess story! IMHO.

Back