180gr SS North Fork - 300WM - 3193fps

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I did a bullet test using hard water jugs not milk jugs filled with water. First jug was a 3 gallon water dispensing container followed by gallon hard plastic jug bottles. The 180gr SS North Fork moving out of my 300Win Mag at 3193fps, just ten yards from the jugs, traveled 3 feet 10 inches through the media. Bullet weighed 151.8grs and had expanded too .658” in diameter. Needless to say not only was it impressive but I was literally soaked by a rain shower. I purposely got this close to see it the bullet would hold up close at these velocities. After this test I would choose this bullet traveling at the above velocity over any 338Win Mag even using a 225gr NF bullet if I were hunting large or dangerous game.

0cc9b902.jpg

fb17ae25.jpg

0650c2c8.jpg

6e36f00f.jpg

Very impressive, Mike. It is picture perfect, to use a phrase that is entirely appropriate for this shot.

Mike, I have never been as impressed with the impact of any bullet hitting water jugs as with this 180gr NF out of my 300Win Mag Hard to describe, sure wish I had a video of the event, I mean it was a shear explosion. This is one serious load, I would not be afraid to face a brown bear a close range with this bullet or an African lion. Still can't get over this morning. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've heard nothing but good about the North Fork. I'm sorry I didn't snap up a bunch of them before they moved and while the exchange of components across the border was unrestricted. Now, the cost would be prohibitive. I just received an order of Woodleigh bullets, and they were sufficiently expensive that I won't be eager to replenish them once they are gone.

Very nice Mike! That is impressive to say the least. Looks really good to me. Seems like that load is a very solid heavy game load as there can be. Great shooting and recovery. Scotty

Very nice, Mike. I've got some 225 gr specimens I'm excited to try once I get my 338-06 AI up and running. That looks like one wicked mushroom!

This is why I like the NF bullets but your previous experience with the 358 has me gunshy on spending that much money on their bullets. I have 150 210gr Partitions now so I suppose there is no real need for the NF bullets. These, of course, are for my 338-06.

Scott Spencer":1nhij2zt said:
This is why I like the NF bullets but your previous experience with the 358 has me gunshy on spending that much money on their bullets. I have 150 210gr Partitions now so I suppose there is no real need for the NF bullets. These, of course, are for my 338-06.

The 200gr bullets by NF shot good in my 358Win it was the 165gr bullet that did not shoot good in my 300Win Mag

Scott Spencer":2ds3vlqn said:

Scott, I imagine you will be in bliss with those 210's in your 338-06. I can't think of a better bullet for everything in that rifle. It is fun to try other bullets, but since you have so many 210's, no sense in looking for something better, I doubt you'll find anything, unless they just don't shoot in your rifle, with would be doubtful. Scotty

3193? That is screaming! 300 Bee velocities! :shock:
Bullet looks great.

FOTIS":aof6c9bc said:
Bullet looks great.

Their concept of using those multiple grooves to reduce pressure really works.

bullet":264mgqaw said:
FOTIS":264mgqaw said:
Bullet looks great.

Really makes me wonder what the 200gr SS NF would do! Now that would be something that would have penetration into tomorrow and would likely run at 3K pretty easily. Scotty

beretzs":3u68lzsq said:
bullet":3u68lzsq said:
FOTIS":3u68lzsq said:
Bullet looks great.

Really makes me wonder what the 200gr SS NF would do! Now that would be something that would have penetration into tomorrow and would likely run at 3K pretty easily. Scotty

I am sure it would be a good bullet but the 180gr SS is in a class all it's own when it comes to the 300Win Mag. It is 4,075 ft -bls at muzzle, With a conservative BC .390 you have it sighted in at 2.4" high at 100yds - Max Point blank range is 308 yds when zeroed at 262 yds -5" at 330, the 200gr is just not in this company. If I were going to use a 200 gr in my 300Win Mag I would use the Partition. The NF 180gr is truly and all around bullet for the 300win mag. It has a broad range of use on animals because it opens up quick but will maintain it's structural integrity, retaining weight, opens to a good size frontal area but still will penetrate deep. I would not use the SS series on Thick Skinned big African game and North Fork will tell you the same thing. They make a different bullet for that purpose.

man those sure do look pretty even at that velocity. I have never used the NF but have heard good things about them. Thanks for the info!!!

Back