150 SST .308 Win

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
Here is what I recovered from a 105 lbs field dressed doe last December:

DSC06825.JPG

DSC06826.JPG

DSC06828.JPG

The shot was almost full frontal, she was only quartering very slightly. The bullet struck the right shoulder. The bullet shattered the scapula just above the socket upon entering.It then broke three ribs, taking out a two inch piece of the last one. It then traveled through the chest cavity and into the abdomen. I found the bullet lodged in the abdominal muscles about ten inches forward of the pelvis. The right lung was mush. The left lung was seriously damaged. She dropped instantly.

The bullet was fired from a .308. The MV of this load is 2650 fps. The deer was only about 40 yds out. As you can see, the core did separate from the jacket, but they were within an inch of each other where I found them. The bullet retained 70% of its weight.

Below are the pics of the shoulder/ribs.

Here's where it went in:

DSC06831.JPG

Here's what it did to the shoulder:

DSC06832.JPG

Here's the rib damage:

DSC06829.JPG

Trevor I had the same experience with the 150 SST outta my wife's 308 at 2850 or so. Very deadly bullet and pretty tough. Thanksfor posting it up. Great pictures. Scotty

In years past, the SST served me well. I'm not loading any at the present, however, as I've moved steadily toward monolithics.

I've shot 4 deer with the SSt... 3 with a .280 154 and one my wife shot with a .308win 150 gr. All disintigrated with minimal penetration of main wound channel on clean body cavity shots and showered back strap and far shoulder with fragments. Only recovered the jackets intact. No heavy bone was hit on any of the shots. All killed deer but I was not impressed with the performance. On a difficult shot angle or less than perfect placement they would not have done the job where conventional SPs would have. Maybe they've improved in recent years, but I quit using them.

Interesting to see your results. My wife's .308 was using the same load. Maybe our MN deer have thicker hides or something.

I had good luck with the SST's as well, but have gone to the 150gr AB for the 308 now. I pay the same for them as I would SST's so I might as well use the better bullet. Makes good horse sense to me. Scotty

Back