E-tip

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
Anyone have a reviews/tests with e-tip bullets? Thinking of working up some 150/165 loads for deer season?

150 gr E Tip, 2850+/- fps impact velocity, 149 gr (100%) .645" penetrated 6 water jugs.
2006pictures134.jpg

This is a great all around bullet, wouldn't think twice about hunting deer or moose with them.

Haven't recovered any, but 130 grain .277 calibre penetrate and kill moose right smartly.

No recovered ETips yet, but here's what they've put down

270WSM - 130ET - No pics of the animals ,but it has a couple of CA blacktails and a hog or two on the list.

7RUM - 150ET
7RUMHog.jpg

30-06 - 180ET
06Pig1Dec.jpg

Jan1030-06.jpg

30-06Pig1.jpg

338RUM - 200ET
Oct09BT.jpg

Oct09BT1.jpg

The exit hole

My buddy field tested the 308 168 gr E-Tip last year on cow elk and antelope with his 30-06 AI.
He took the cow on a hard quartering away angle and the bullet exited through the off shoulder.

JD338

Cool. Just remember to use the mid load data as the MAX load for E-Tips. They like a lot of jump so start .100" off the lands.

JD338

I didn't recover the bullet, but here's my evidence as to why I keep using them from my magnum rifles:

BuckinthesnowJanuary2011-brightened.jpg

You'll notice that I got the same exit wound (visible on the buck's chest) as others are getting. Very consistent performance from the E-Tips.

JD338":3uyymvcr said:
Cool. Just remember to use the mid load data as the MAX load for E-Tips. They like a lot of jump so start .100" off the lands.

JD338

So what is the recommend "safe range" for 30-06 150gr E-tip I have H4350 pwder now so would prefer to use that.

JD 338 has some nice photographs of recovered E-tips from water jugs also. The performed very well as did these.
100 yards
90 gr. 6mm E-tip 165 gr. 30-06 AccuBond 100 gr. 6mm Partition
E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

300 yards
90 gr. E-tip
013-2.jpg

My son has used the E-tips a lot in his 6mm and they sure have worked very well for him. So have lots of these guys before my post also!! I think you will really like it.

6mm 90 gr. E-tip at 300 yards. Exit hole on her left shoulder. She went about 25 yards.
008-3.jpg

David

130 grain E-Tip Recovered from elk shot at ~120 yards. 270 WSM, muzzle velocity of 3250 fps.

PA100269.jpg

Stopped in the first vessel.

PA100267.jpg

Great pictures fellers. Seems like the ETs are a great bullet. Still haven't quite gotten any loads worked up for them, but I'm thinking they are a super bullet. I love the mushroom they provide, wide frontal area looks real nice.

Making my first attempt with E-Tips. They're on the way, just need to wait until AFTER deer season to start messing with them.

Got some 168 gr .30 cal E-Tips on the way... First up, the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL.

Since I'm happy with the trajectory & performance of other 165 gr Noslers, I'm hoping these do well. Should be pretty much a "do it all" bullet... Maybe my son will use them on his first elk hunt in a few months!

Guy

Guy

Send me the load data for you 30-06 when you get them worked up. I've been tinkering with the same thing and would be interest to see what works for you. I've been using H4350

I tried them in my 300WSM and did pretty decent as far as speed. I never did tune them a lot for accuracy, but knowing a little more now, I believe I could have made them work.

I do like the expanded frontal area of the ET's over the others, since it is broad with no voids, should be a better killer in theory.

Guy, why the push to ET's? Just professional curiosity? :grin:

Scotty, there's a strong movement to turn the whole west coast into a "no lead bullet" zone. Already I have to use steel shot when going after upland game; chukar, huns, quail, etc.... If I'm on state land anywhere near the Columbia River.

It's a bunch of garbage, but a huge chunk of California is already that way and efforts are underway in Oregon & Washington to do the same. I fear that the movement may be successful and want to have a good unleaded bullet hunting load ready, just in case.

Long ago, before the advent of the E-Tip, I stockpiled a few 6mm, .257 and .30 cal Barnes TSX hunting bullets... But I'd prefer to shoot Nosler instead. Had some interesting, mixed results with the TSX and my .25-06 years ago. Pretty sure one bullet didn't expand at all, though I did kill that buck. The E-Tip, and in fairness the Tipped TSX, seem to expand reliably.

So yeah, I'm hedging my bet, and hoping to make sure young Miner and I have both got enough unleaded hunting bullets on hand, if we wake up some morning and find out that our lead core bullets have suddenly become illegal.

The 168's interest me the most, since I think with their mono-metal construction, they'll penetrate like crazy, and be adequate for anything we hunt. Maybe anything in North America.

Regards, Guy

I figured that may have been the reason Guy. I would think that 168 ET would be pretty awesome in a whole lotta .308 cartridges.

I sorta wished I went through work and finished up with the 168 ET in the 300 WSM. It might have been a really great all around, flat and a ton of penetration..

Yeah, I'm hoping the load work-up isn't too tough. I'm not as patient about such things as I was once.

If I can come up with a good .30-06 load, chances are both our old 1917 rifle and the much newer Rem 700 will shoot it well - they already shoot the same loads very well, with the accuracy edge obviously going to the 95 year newer rifle! :)

I figure if I've got a good unleaded bullet load that our .30-06's shoot well, I'm covered.

Hopefully we'll quit managing our game & hunting by the ballot initiative process and let our WDFW biologists do their job, but it's the west coast. I'm not betting on a sane outcome.

Guy

Back