180 AB and BTSP

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
I went out and tested the 180 AB into milk jugs from my 300 RUM at approximatley 3300 fps. Bullet penatrated 5 jugs and weighed 107.8 grains. (Left of picture) I'm really happy with the AB and its performance. Ripped the first two jugs in half, it was awsome.

I also shot the Hornady 180 BTSP interlock out of my friends 30-06 at approximately 2840 fps it penetrated 3 jugs and had bounched of the fourth one and was on the ground. It weighed 100.7 and the jacket serperated from the core. This bullet was a little disapointing, I though it would do better. (Right of picture). Both were shot at 50 yards.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Corey

Looks pretty awesome to me Corey. Honestly, I haven't seen a PT or AB that has really disapointed me to awfully much. The 130 AB's out of my 264 got hammered a little, but they still stayed together and retained about 60%. I think that RUM with a 180 will be a flatliner that should hammer elk. Scotty

That AccuBond did very well @ 3300 + fps maybe your 30-06 will like them as well looks like they will survive almost any impact.

Its my friend' 06 and he did not want to spend the money on a premium bullet.

Corey

C.Smith":38r8cdlu said:
Its my friend' 06 and he did not want to spend the money on a premium bullet.

Corey

After seeing this hopefully he will change his mind.

Corey,

Nicely done. The 180 gr AB is a great choice for your 300 RUM. I'm sure your friend will see the light. :wink:

JD338

Corey,
The problem I'm have with the 180 ABonds is I haven't been able to recover one to see how they are holding up or look like. But I figure that I can live with not being able to find the bullet. As long as it keeps doing the DRT.
Russ

A good bullet design, no doubt. I never recover any either. Complete pass through, 99% of the time.

I've only shot one animal with them so far, and it too was complete pass through. Thats why I love the milk jugs. Not totally realistic but makes feel that if it can survive close up on milk jugs it should do fine in animal.

Corey

C.Smith":26ocqvgb said:
I've only shot one animal with them so far, and it too was complete pass through. Thats why I love the milk jugs. Not totally realistic but makes feel that if it can survive close up on milk jugs it should do fine in animal.

Corey

Same here Corey. To me, I think milk jugs at close range are similar to that bullet hitting a concrete wall! It really stresses bullets much more than some folks believe and it really allows us to keep the medium the same, time after time.

Plus, it is just fun to watch jugs fly. I still wanna see Woodycreeks 300 RUM pushing the 200gr AB at 3175 push into some jugs. I kinda think that should be a good show! Scotty

I have some 200 ABs coming to try thanks to another member here. I'm goingto try them with rethink and Serbia they work. Hopefully I have enough to try in jugs.

Corey

You may want to look at the 180gr BT for your friends 30-06. It has a thick jacket and at 30-06 velocities it performs very well.

Thanks I'm very content with the performance and look forward to trying it on an animal for real. 22 days and counting.

Corey

I take that total passthrough as an omen, a good omen. In 50 years of shooting game with PT's I have only recovered one bullet. To me, that translates to good performance.

Back