Federal fusion, 165 grain 300 WSM

kendog

Beginner
Dec 19, 2010
Bro-in-law just got himself a new rifle and came up home to the range to get her geared for the season next weekend.
Didn't put my chrony under it until we were sure it was on paper good, first shot, yep. Bolt a little sticky. Second shot, same thing, looked like some smoke coming out of receiver, bolt sticky.
Third shot, bolt sticky, opened it up and primer dropped out. Took a look at the second one and it had leaked bad all around primer, end of test.
Anyone else have anything like that happen with factory fodder?

Twice (two separate lots), I've had Federal 300 WSM loads that blew primers. In my experience, the company tends to tickle the dragon's tail. Consequently, I'm cautious about recommending Federal ammunition. They certainly can turn out a good product, but it does merit watching. I don't know that it is solely an issue with the cartridge; I suspect that it is the loading itself.

Would have been interesting to see the speed on those puppies.
He ended up with 180 grain Winchester Power Points, 2940 fps

"Anyone else have anything like that happen with factory fodder?"

Winchester .308 match ammo, 168 gr - was so hot it locked up the bolt on my rifle!

Federal .40 cal, 155 gr Hydra-Shock ammo some years ago - a case burst and blew the magazine right out of my Glock 27.

Popped a primer on a .223 factory round - can't recall which brand - sure fouled up the AR-15 and took it out of play for a bit.

Seems to me there have been some other problems too. Mostly with rounds not feeding in all semi-auto pistols, stuff like that. Primer seated backwards. Wrong bullet in the case. Severely dented cases. You've got to remember that I see tens of thousands of factory rounds fired every year. It's not that these things are common. In general I have a very high regard for factory ammo these days.

Guy

Back