.300 Sav 150 NP

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
My friend shot a large buck with his .300 sav this weekend. Dressed weight est at 170 lb. Significant fat and heavy winter coat on deer up here this time of year. Shot was aprox. 125 yards. Impact 5" front of diaphram, 4" above center line of deer, dead broadside, 20 degree downhill slope.

Bullet centered on rib, expanded to leave aprx. .9" entry into body cavity. Hit both lungs and large portion of liver, making mush out of about half of liver and back half of both lungs and nicking bottom of spine. Appears to be little meat loss. Bullet lodged under far side of hide. Deer made it about 10 yards and dropped.

From what I saw this is a GREAT bullet and weight for deer or black bear in the short action.30's!

Sounds like a job well done. I'm a bit surprised it didn't exit but if it got enough of the spine that would slow it down considerably. My friend's father loves his 300 Savage and he stones whitetails with it.

Thanks for the report.

Good report. The 300 Savage with the 150gr PT would suffice for a whole lot of game. Scotty

A .300 Savage is the rifle I cut my teeth on back in the day. I still have it though I don't use it as much as I should. In my opinion, it literally is more than enough gun for what most of us do.

The .308 is just a .300 Savage Improved if you will. :)

You can hardly beat the way an old Savage 99 rifle handles in the woods.

Dale

Back