Hamour

Beginner
Dec 23, 2010
2011 Season=6 Deer taken with same .30 Cal 165 gr. AccuBond Load

Load Data
WW Cases
CCI 200 LR Primers
IMR 4064 @ 48.4 grs.
2704 FPS Average (From a new old stock Garand)
This load was developed for my M1 Garands, but I use it in all my 30-06 rifles that shoot it well.

This year we killed 6 deer in East Texas using this load, but 3 different rifles. A Remington 742, Kreighoff Drilling and M1 Garand. Shots ranged from 40 yds to 150 yds.
Most shots were to the shoulder area, all were pass through with no bullets recovered.
The entrance wound in all 6 animals showed rapid expansion with large hole and bloodshot area.
The exit wounds in all cases showed bullet weight retention was good, hole in the hide was about the size of a quarter, with a larger hole in the meat under the hide.
Internal wound path was a hole through both shoulders about the diameter of a coke can, blood shot area tapered off indicating good loss of speed but with the wound path staying large in diameter also indicated good weight retention.
I was very impressed with this performance on deer and like the combination of rapid expansion but good penetration and weight retention.

Here is a picture of the entrance wound on one deer, all the other entrance wounds were like this.
DSC07014.jpg

Here is an exit wound, again this is typical
DSC06893.jpg

These two never moved
DSC06988.jpg

DSC06987.jpg

I am very impressed with this bullet for deer, I will try the 150 gr .30 Cal AccuBond next year with an M2 Ball duplication load.

Very nice and welcome to the forum. I use that bullet exclusively in my 308. Great job on the deer.

Looks like you had a good hunt.

The performance you received is similar to what I experienced on a moose this past October, same bullet, same cartridge........... although I was surprised to get a pass through on a moose at well over 200 yards. I have seen this bullet used on about half a dozen caribou now as well, by hunters I was guiding, and performance has been pretty much the same every time.

It looks as if that load worked really well for you. No deer escaped; all came home with you. Good post.

Kreighoff Drilling - sweet...

Yes, .30 cal/165 gr Noslers are a dandy choice for deer. And more.

Congrats on a good season.

So far my experience with the Accubonds has been very positive. I really like them and it appears you have had good sucess with them also. Nice job!

David

Very nice! Thanks for sharing them. Still have to try some of the 165's, but so far, the 180's are shooting very well.. Can't wait to try them on something furry!

Hamour

Welcome to the forum.

You had a great season! The 165 gr AB is an excellent bullet.
Really like that Kreighoff. 8)

JD338

Welcome to the forum. Great performance, you certainly can not complain about that bullet and its results in the .30-06.

Yes the Kreighoff Drilling is one sweet and versatile weapon. The 30-06 BBL is extremely accurate if only two shots are fired and then allowed to cool back to ambient temperature. I am talking 1" or less at 100 yds. Also the removable scope is fantastic as well, you can remove it, use it as a shot gun, then replace the scope and it goes back to perfect zero.

In truth I could sell all my other hunting rifles and shotguns and do well with this one but who wants only one gun?

Back