200 Grain ABs

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Shot a 200 AB into water yesterday out of my 300 Ultra Mag. Distance was 50 yards and the bullet was leaving around 3175 fps. Impact of the first couple jugs was impressive. Penetrated into the 5th almost going through it into the 6th. I think it poked a small hole in the 6th. I was certain it would have gone into the 6th jug so I was a bit surprised.

Bullet weighed 127.3 grains afterwards. All in all I'm happy with it and will more than likely make this my bullet of choice.
]
IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Corey

That is picture perfect performance for the bullet. Thanks for posting, Corey.

Pretty hard to beat that Corey. Nice job! I bet those jugs did a dance when that cannon smacked them! :lol:
David

Thanks. I wish I had bought some of the Nosler seconds they had on there for longest time until now. Oh well. I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle more. I've got to work on the flinch now.

Corey

Corey,

Nice job! Excellent performance although I too would have thought 6 jugs.

As for the flinch, start off your range session with a lesser round and finish with the same. Some 22 rim fire time is also good for additional trigger time at a low cost. Another suggestion would be to get a Past Recoil pad to wear when shooting the heavy recoiling guns.

JD338

Nice catch!...im suprised it didn't make it into the 6th jug too :shock: ..they are great bullets for sure!..I've tested this bullet in .270 win, and was very pleased with the results..gotta .270 WSM, that I want to test using the 140gr accubonds..hopefully you can get rid of that flinch..good shooting, Lou

The flinch is not that bad, I know its there. It's not effecting my accuracy to much. I know I'll get used to it just need more time, just like it was with my 7RM.

Corey

I swear this has got to be the ideal 30 caliber bullet!

All of my recovered ones look the same way even from my 30-378's. Yes more than one.

And they shoot!

My 30-378 with them at 3300 fps .7"

2012-02-04114813.jpg

another group on a windier day .6"

2012-01-08101641.jpg

C. Smith - a few months ago I tested the same bullet, the 200 gr AccuBond, from my .300 WSM at about 2800 fps - several hundred fps slower than your rifle.

IMG_4777.jpg

Interestingly, and there's a lesson here for all of us, my bullet was recovered from the 6th jug and weighed 137 grains. Velocity is not really our friend when it comes to penetration in many situations. Perhaps I'll load some more in my .30-06 and try them at 2600 fps.

Here's a link to the 200 gr AccuBond test I posted. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16605

Excellent bullets that have earned a great reputation in the game fields in a rather short period of existence.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":twxq8trx said:
C. Smith - a few months ago I tested the same bullet, the 200 gr AccuBond, from my .300 WSM at about 2800 fps - several hundred fps slower than your rifle.

IMG_4777.jpg

Interestingly, and there's a lesson here for all of us, my bullet was recovered from the 6th jug and weighed 137 grains. Velocity is not really our friend when it comes to penetration in many situations. Perhaps I'll load some more in my .30-06 and try them at 2600 fps.

Here's a link to the 200 gr AccuBond test I posted. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16605

Excellent bullets that have earned a great reputation in the game fields in a rather short period of existence.

Regards, Guy

That's a good point that did not cross my and completely makes sense. Thanks for pointing that. I would be interested in seeing your results with the 30-06. I do like the idea of the massive energy dump with the quicker bullet.

Corey

I got to thinking about my bullet and the one that Guy shot, his going into 6 jugs and mine into 5. There is only 10 grains difference in weight, even though mine was going just a little over 300 fps quicker. I wonder if the distances shot at made the difference. I'm not worried about it just thought it was interesting. For sure it is a great bullet to hold up as well as it did. Gives a lot of faith in it.

Corey

C.Smith":2hgm4c3z said:
I got to thinking about my bullet and the one that Guy shot, his going into 6 jugs and mine into 5. There is only 10 grains difference in weight, even though mine was going just a little over 300 fps quicker. I wonder if the distances shot at made the difference. I'm not worried about it just thought it was interesting. For sure it is a great bullet to hold up as well as it did. Gives a lot of faith in it.

Corey

Corey, try 25yds...it well for sure make it into the 6th jug for sure..man my .270 win 140gr @25yds was caught in the 5th jug, and almost made it into the 6th...my impact velocity was much less than yours, again, try it @25yds...it should ROCK!...Lou

Slow it down and it will penetrate deeper. High velocity impacts cause a rapid mushroom which slows it down faster.

JD338

JD338":whl9uk3a said:
Slow it down and it will penetrate deeper. High velocity impacts cause a rapid mushroom which slows it down faster.

JD338

+1 Jim :) ..On game performance, you got a winner!..it's like a 30-06 vs 300 win mag, 270 win vs 270 WSM...in 30-06 vs 300 win mag, both use .308 bullets..making the 300 win mag the winner..in .277..both the 270 win & 270 WSM shooting the same bullet, my money is on the 270 WSM...in some cases, there's that need for speed, and higher velocity really shines, when that 1 shot counts...you got a winner!..High velocity, and proper bullet, does some serious damage..you'll be fine..that bullet well penetrate into tommorow :wink:

That 200 AB is a tough bullet for sure. I still have a few and wouldn't mind monkey'ing with them a little more in the 300WSM. Although, I am getting 3025 pretty easily with the 180 AB, so I am not in a hurry!

I hear you on that The 180AB shoots well and seems to perform similary in my 300ultra. Sure makes it hard to decide which one to use.

Corey

Back