150 accubond in a 300 RUM. Is a heavier bullet better?

boomer79

Beginner
Dec 15, 2011
I will be hunting white tail and I reallize this is a light bullet for the 300 RUM, but thought I would load it load it to the Nosler most accurate powder of H 4831 at 3334 ft per sec. Last year I shot a deer at 425 yds. in a shooting lane that extends to 600 yds. It took 3 shots of from mt 270 WSM with a 140 gr. Ballistic tip. to harvest the deer.

It will work but a .300RUM really shines with heavier bullets. I would shoot 180gr BT's if you want something to kill deer fast. I shot a deer at 812yds with my .300RUM and 180BT's about 10 years ago and it dispatched it pretty quickly.

"It took 3 shots of from mt 270 WSM with a 140 gr. Ballistic tip. to harvest the deer."

Why? What happened? I'd think the .270 WSM with a 140 Ballistic Tip would be excellent for deer, even at 450 yards. Seeking to learn here.

As far as a bullet for the .300 goes - I never used anything under 165 grains on deer, from a .300 magnum. Tremendous effect on target.

Guy

I would run them. If they are accurate, they should work fine.. Good luck.

What happened on the 270WSM shot?

It's hard to fathom why you required three shots on the deer with a 140 grain AB from your 270WSM. I've shot several moose and elk with my 270WSM, and most have been one shot kills; I recall one moose that took a second shot, but he was dead with the first. I'm shooting 130 grain ETips. I'd tend to go with the heavier bullet in my 300 RUM. The velocity gains are outweighed by the performance of the greater mass at impact.

The deer went down everytime but after 2 or 3 minutes it got up again. I am certain better shot placement was required. I am hopefull a heavier or faster bullet would have would have harvested the deer faster. I know I need more time at the range.

boomer79":3ieuosmv said:
The deer went down everytime but after 2 or 3 minutes it got up again. I am certain better shot placement was required. I am hopefull a heavier or faster bullet would have would have harvested the deer faster. I know I need more time at the range.

Boomer I'm not busting your chops at all, but I'm not sure you'll see much difference between the two. A 140 BT out of the WSM flat hammers deer. If it shoots for you there isn't much of a more ideal combo. Again not saying the RUM isn't awesome but the 270WSM with 140BTs should be cleaning house. Good luck buddy. Everybody here botches a shot here and there.

boomer79":1dsyd4k9 said:
I will be hunting white tail and I reallize this is a light bullet for the 300 RUM, but thought I would load it load it to the Nosler most accurate powder of H 4831 at 3334 ft per sec. Last year I shot a deer at 425 yds. in a shooting lane that extends to 600 yds. It took 3 shots of from mt 270 WSM with a 140 gr. Ballistic tip. to harvest the deer.

Well where did the 3 shots hit the deer :?: could not have being heart- lung shots ! Shot placement is very critical in all game harvesting !
Anyhow in that big 300 Rum i think for deer that the 165 gr AccuBond at 3300 would do a good job with proper shot placement !
Cheers RJ :grin:

Also, don't believe everything you hear/read/see on TV. This past season I shot a small doe with my 30-06 and 168gr Nosler BT's. Range was 185yds according to my rangefinder. She gave me a broadside shot, I took it, and she jumped and kicked, then proceeded to walk into some tall grass like nothing was wrong. I waited until she presented another shot, took it, and down she went. Total time elapsed? Maybe 2min, probably more like 1. Second shot hit her right through the spine and dropped her in her tracks, but it took about 5" of backstrap with it. She stepped forward and into a hole right as the trigger released. Nothing I could do at that moment but pray. When I got to her, I could clearly see she was already gone after the first shot. Right through both lungs, so no doubt she would have expired soon enough. After chasing a buck last year for too far after dropping him and thinking he was DRT, I don't take chances anymore. Thus the second shot.

If you're not hitting the range and practicing from field positions, do it now, and keep doing it through the summer and right up to the beginning of the season. You'll be glad you did. If you are, just accept that sometimes crap occurs. At least you got the deer in the freezer.

I would also suggest a heavier bullet in the 300 RUM, that is what it was designed for.
The 180 gr BT would be an excellent bullet.

JD338

Thanks for the input. I like the BT and have had good results with rapid expansion and instant DRT.
I will load with 165 to 180 and see what my rifle likes best.

boomer79":2lgw2ny0 said:
Thanks for the input. I like the BT and have had good results with rapid expansion and instant DRT.
I will load with 165 to 180 and see what my rifle likes best.

That 180 BT in the 300RUM should be fearsome on deer...

I am aware of a surprising number of people using the 180 BT from a 300 WBY on elk and moose, and it will drop even these big critters right smartly.

180 grains as a minimum for everything. Personally I love a 200 grain.

In order to really take advantage of that big case, the 180's and really the 200 and above bullets shine. Now, saying that, since your shooting deer with the rifle, I can't see a good reason to not use the 150 AB. I think it would open quickly, not blow to pieces on a leg bone, and would be laser like out to 400. If your shooting further than that, the heavier bullets start to shine. With deer as the main game that little AB should work fine if it shoots.

At about 300 yards and beyond the 150 grain will have no ballistic advantage over a .30-06 because of low ballistic coefficient due to the lower weight and sectional density of the bullet.

Back