130 grain 30 cal blue coated barnes

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
These are three years old. Bullets were shot from a 30-06 at a distance of 100 to 200 yards into dirt

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,062
These were really problematic when it came to expanding on game. This is why they went to the TSX and TTSX

It was hit-or-miss (actually more miss than hit) with the XLCs in almost everything I loaded them in. The TSX rectified that situation quite handily.

I never had any success either when it came to accuracy and the XLC, there seems to be a trend here :) In the 35 Whelen the 225 gr TSX was very accurate though.

gerry":2hb7b7f8 said:
I never had any success either when it came to accuracy and the XLC, there seems to be a trend here :) In the 35 Whelen the 225 gr TSX was very accurate though.

Same here Gerry. The 225 TSX is very accurate in my Whelen as well.

I was shooting 225 grain TSX in my previous iteration of the Whelen; they were the most accurate of anything I shot. I'm working on other bullets with this latest iteration.

I also get very good accuracy from the 210 grain .338 Barnes TSX bullets in the .338 Federal and the .340 Bee.

My STW likes the TSX most of all. The best groups come with the 160 the next best is the 175 Nosler PT. Thats whats in the barrel for hunting.

Seems to be a trend here. I liked the idea of the Barnes X, but until the advent of the TSX, I never had good results from the Barnes X bullets. Once the TSX came out, I was pretty impressed with them. Good accuracy and I took a couple of mule deer with them, the little 100 gr TSX from my .25-06, as well.

If I wasn't such a Nosler Nut, I'd likely use them again. Still have some 6mm, .257" and .30 cal TSX's on the shelf. Have four loaded 270 gr TSX's too - from an earlier owner of my .375 rifle.

Not to mention the fact that with the original X's they would change the ogive just about every month! Now they are just fine.

Although now and then I hear reports of non-expansion. Still worries me.

Back