Federal Gold Medal Match from CZ550 Varmint 308

Mortis

Handloader
Aug 3, 2012
This is the target of our initial test of my CZ550 with a Simmons 44Mag Scope.

Ammo was 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match at 100 yards.

308target.jpg

Been looking for photos of current loads...... seems they were lost when I changed computers.

But we are closing in on that group at 200.... still a work in progress.....

Thanks..... still a work in process.....

and no.... I do not shoot benchrest....

Mortis,

That is a bragging group for sure.
Hey, you missed the dime. :mrgreen:

JD338

Federal GMM is pretty doggone good stuff. It's what I point to when people tell me blithely that they can always beat factory ammo with their handloads.

Really?

What's equally impressive is that I've seen this ammo produce terrific results from a wide variety of rifles: bolt action, semi-auto, American, Brit... The stuff just plain shoots.

Years ago I decided to try to beat it. Sometimes I manage to do so, sometimes... Well, Federal has this stuff down pretty good.

Great shooting there Mortis.

Wow, very nice shooting. Seems like it is some great ammo.. That would be hard to beat without alot of work on the bench, that is for sure.

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen.......

After several alot of powder and bullets used up.... and having read many articles and threads...... I do believe we can close the gap.

But I agree that we'll probably never duplicate it off a reloading bench.

Then again, if ya don't give it a try...... why reload?????

Found the photo of our 180 grain proof load target at 200 yards.

Target2.jpg

180 grain Hornaday Interlock
Powder - 45.5 grains of H380
Primer - Fed 210M
Case Federal, Win or Rem

Over all length - 2.833

Lower three rounds was for scope adjustment.... the last two rds was to confirm adjustment.

Great shooting!

H380 used to be the darling powder of "Hunter Benchrest" shooters using the .308 Win. I used it with the 168 Sierra Gameking a long time ago and it made some phenomenal groups. Velocity wasn't so good, so I switched to Varget for 600 yard matches and improved my scores, but I've never forgotten what H380 can do on target. Pretty impressive!

Guy

Don't know about BR....but that load has taken 2 deer, 5 hogs, and a bobcat in Texas.

Poor Bobkitty just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Back