Accubond recovered from mule deer buck

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
It's not very pretty and probably not a typical AccuBond mushroom, but it was effective! I shot my buck at about 200 yards on a steep downhill slope, and he was quartering away. The bullet hit at the back of the ribs on his left side breaking a couple ribs on the way in. the bullet penetrated up through the lungs and broke a couple ribs on the right side going out. The bullet then hit the heavy shoulder bone on his right shoulder and continued to penetrate and was just under the hide on his right shoulder. That's a lot of penetration and bone the bullet took out though.

165 gr. AccuBond weighed 112.5 grains and retained just over 68%.

022-6.jpg

With the abuse to which that bullet was subjected, I'd say that was pretty good performance, David. Weight retention is about what I would expect; I have to say it is very good.

Looks great to me! That bullet did all it was asked of.. Seems like excellent penetration, and while it isn't a pretty mushroom, it looks to me like it worked as intended. The AB's have turned out to be some awesome performers.

Looks like it survived a pretty rough ride, maybe I missed it but any pitures of your deer? Congrats BTW.

gerry":17z4e4bh said:
Looks like it survived a pretty rough ride, maybe I missed it but any pitures of your deer? Congrats BTW.
Gerry just up a page on the post. Let me correct that Gerry, it is on the 2012 hunting photo's, second to last page I believe. Right after the young lads awesome whitetail buck!

And the buck end'd up in the freezer, right?

Looks like the bullet worked mighty fine. Cain't always have a picture perfect mushroom.

Nice deer David, congrats. He looks to be in very fine shape and I bet he will taste great.

A good buck, taken with a good bullet, from a good rifle - fired by a good hunter!

I'd say all was well.

Congratulations David, nice buck!

Guy

stories like yours are why Nosler sponsors this board Im thinkin' Good deal all the way around! CL

looks like there wasn't enough resistance to allow expansion. On a heavier animal it would have mushroomed better. But like said dead deer. It doesn't take much to kill deer.

Back