180gr E-Tip at 3200fps MV in white-tail

G

I shot a buck at 60yds and a doe at ~200yds yesterday, on the last day of the season. The buck was straight through the boiler room, ribs-lungs-ribs. The doe was a quartering shot, through the shoulder blade (barely) and the ribcage, taking out one whole lung, but then because the doe had her body twisted a bit at the midpoint, instead of exiting her opposite side at the back of the ribcage, it traveled full axis, through the rear hip, and was found just under the skin right about where the brown and white hair meets at her rump. One quick cut from my knife, and it popped right out.

_IGP2986_zps0168186c.jpg

_IGP2978_zps5b7e4d24.jpg

_IGP2975_zps48abfb86.jpg

These are supposed to be 180gr, but my batch were all 179.6-179.8gr when new. At least, of the 100 I bought, when I weighed about 15 of them, that's the range. This recovered bullet, after cleaning (it was covered with fat) weighs in at 177.2gr, for a weight retention percentage of 98.6%. I suspect the plastic tip is about a grain of weight, which means this bullet managed to shed only about .4% of it's gilding metal monolithic body.

Both deer I shot with this bullet yesterday dropped in their tracks. I was really expecting a less shocking impact from these, due to their monolithic construction, but they behaved as ballistic tips for me, both times. I'm pretty high on using the E-Tips in magnum rifles at this point, having taken three deer in three years using them (and two others using Ballistic Tips) with excellent results in both penetration and expansion.

WM

Nice catch buddy!
The bullet looks impressive and certainly did its job well.

JD338

Great catch Dub. Looks very impressive to me as well. I imagine that load would hammer anything, to include giant furry bears!

Superb job, Dub. I thought that perhaps the bullet was caught in the doe because she is more vocal, hence more exercise of the chest, etc. :grin:

I'd sure have no hesitation hunting with this setup in bear country, Scotty.

And you, Doc, are a funny man, huh? You having some hearing trouble these days? Are your ears getting full with all the vocalizations of a certain doe?

I did a little calculating, and if anyone wants to know, the bullet was doing ~3100 when it hit that buck at 60yds, and at 200yds it impacted that doe at ~2800fps. I'd still like to see this same bullet's performance down around 2000fps impact velocity. Of course, with this setup, I'd have to practice a bunch to do that - because it would be at 680yds! Even at 400yds still holding 2450.

dubyam":1f01erfa said:
And you, Doc, are a funny man, huh? You having some hearing trouble these days? Are your ears getting full with all the vocalizations of a certain doe?

Oh, yeah. After 46 years with the same doe, I'm reasonably deaf. :grin:

Excellent bullet performance! Congrats on another clean kill.

Those e-tips look super for high velocity cartridges.

Guy Miner":1gqfxcr9 said:

That's exactly my line of thought, Guy. When loading for non-magnum rifles (stuff in the 30-06/270Win/8x57/7mm-08 class of chamberings) I'd strongly consider the Ballistic Tip or AccuBond, in that order. But for anything that provides an extra measure of velocity, such as the 270Wby/300Wby/7mmRemMag class of chamberings, I'd equally strongly consider the E-Tip or AccuBond, again in that order. It's not that I don't like the AccuBond. I have a few boxes of those on my bench. But for my use, a hypervelocity rifle like a 300'bee really warrants a monolithic bullet if it will shoot one with a high degree of precision. There's just no substitution for momentum, and the weight retention of these monoliths maintains that momentum so much more than a rapidly disrupting mushroom. The good news is, at lower velocities, bullets like the Ballistic Tip are no longer a problem due to high rates of disruption, but instead, take on a more controlled manner.

In fact, when you get your 257Wby back up and running, I'd strongly consider the E-Tip for that rifle.

dubyam":o6h9q0hn said:
Guy Miner":o6h9q0hn said:

That's exactly my line of thought, Guy. When loading for non-magnum rifles (stuff in the 30-06/270Win/8x57/7mm-08 class of chamberings) I'd strongly consider the Ballistic Tip or AccuBond, in that order. But for anything that provides an extra measure of velocity, such as the 270Wby/300Wby/7mmRemMag class of chamberings, I'd equally strongly consider the E-Tip or AccuBond, again in that order. It's not that I don't like the AccuBond. I have a few boxes of those on my bench. But for my use, a hypervelocity rifle like a 300'bee really warrants a monolithic bullet if it will shoot one with a high degree of precision. There's just no substitution for momentum, and the weight retention of these monoliths maintains that momentum so much more than a rapidly disrupting mushroom. The good news is, at lower velocities, bullets like the Ballistic Tip are no longer a problem due to high rates of disruption, but instead, take on a more controlled manner.

In fact, when you get your 257Wby back up and running, I'd strongly consider the E-Tip for that rifle.

Dub, I would love to see that bullet stuffed into jugs, just to compare its performance to the 180 and 200 PT.. Great recovery as well, that bullet did everything you could ever want from a Nosler.

dubyam":1axsoipy said:
Guy Miner":1axsoipy said:

That's exactly my line of thought, Guy. When loading for non-magnum rifles (stuff in the 30-06/270Win/8x57/7mm-08 class of chamberings) I'd strongly consider the Ballistic Tip or AccuBond, in that order. But for anything that provides an extra measure of velocity, such as the 270Wby/300Wby/7mmRemMag class of chamberings, I'd equally strongly consider the E-Tip or AccuBond, again in that order....In fact, when you get your 257Wby back up and running, I'd strongly consider the E-Tip for that rifle.

Yes indeed, well said, it takes a magnum to run the E-Tip.

DrMike":2e4u53hh said:

AKA "selective hearing." I have pretty much master this powerful skill but one must know when to use these skills and more importantly when not to. I have learned (over time ) that if the voice being directed at me is of a higher than normal pitch and rapid tone I better keep the skills on the down low, trust me on this. That is not the time to use such learned skills.

There is a more dangerous situation that can arise ( I have yet to figure a way out of this one and have been caught more than once). Lets say your watching the big game or have other important to you plans and out of no where she pops up and says are you ready to go? At this point things start racing through your mind. What is she talking about, go where? When could she have possibly said this to me? Did I use my time acquired skills recently? What did I agree too when all I heard was Bill bla, bla, bla,bla.

At this point your kind of like a deer in the head lights. I'm not sure if she caught me off guard with my skills and I screwed up or that maybe she ( has also learned over time) to turn my time acquired skills against me knowing full well that if she talks in a calm soft voice my skills go into auto pilot. Either way I see no way out, too late a fake an injury and If I play dumb (easy for me to do) you will get situation #1 and she comes in loud and clear and you will hear her.

Selective hearing is a great tool but like anything else there is a down side so beware.

OU812":1zsav1l5 said:
DrMike":1zsav1l5 said:

AKA "selective hearing." I have pretty much master this powerful skill but one must know when to use these skills and more importantly when not to. I have learned (over time ) that if the voice being directed at me is of a higher than normal pitch and rapid tone I better keep the skills on the down low, trust me on this. That is not the time to use such learned skills.

There is a more dangerous situation that can arise ( I have yet to figure a way out of this one and have been caught more than once). Lets say your watching the big game or have other important to you plans and out of no where she pops up and says are you ready to go? At this point things start racing through your mind. What is she talking about, go where? When could she have possibly said this to me? Did I use my time acquired skills recently? What did I agree too when all I heard was Bill bla, bla, bla,bla.

At this point your kind of like a deer in the head lights. I'm not sure if she caught me off guard with my skills and I screwed up or that maybe she ( has also learned over time) to turn my time acquired skills against me knowing full well that if she talks in a calm soft voice my skills go into auto pilot. Either way I see no way out, too late a fake an injury and If I play dumb (easy for me to do) you will get situation #1 and she comes in loud and clear and you will hear her.

Selective hearing is a great tool but like anything else there is a down side so beware.

Excellent point, Bill. At such a time, it is best to look straight at her and say in your most convincing voice, "Oh, is it time already? What time were we supposed to be there?" Don't overdo it, as asking if you are fine the way you are dressed may elicit an unwanted response, such as "To muck out the pigpen? What's the matter with you?" Make certain not to turn on the selective hearing at this point; it is critical that you hear what is about to be said so you will be able to switch on the smooth response program. Search for every subtle clue as you need help at this point. If she fixes you with that stare that says, "Idiot!" it is appropriate to play the part. If it is that hurt look, you are going to need all the help you can get. Good luck. Remember, we're all pulling for you. And when you younger fellows try this the first time, give us a summary of how it went just as soon as you are out of hospital. :mrgreen:

I've always said there are three things a new husband needs:

Location of the nearest Hallmark store.

Florist on speed dial.

A trusted jeweler who can pick out what your wife likes, wrap it, and deliver it, without you having to see it first (because that takes too long).

dubyam":2hggmium said:
I've always said there are three things a new husband needs:

Location of the nearest Hallmark store.

Florist on speed dial.

A trusted jeweler who can pick out what your wife likes, wrap it, and deliver it, without you having to see it first (because that takes too long).

Truly the words of the wise.

Back