165gr Speer DeepCurl

WOW! Again, awesome performance.. Plus, they have good BC's and no lead tip to get mangled either! Great results buddy!

I wonder how they would act in a 300 win mag? Hmmm might have to find some.

Corey

Looks an awful lot like the old Mag Tips that I absolutely loved. May have to run some of those in the future.

35 Whelen":334666x4 said:
Like to try these out of a 06 @ 2900fps
And see how they look???

I think you'd like them. They are tough bullets and for the money, I am not sure there is alot of competition in their price realm.

Some interesting trivia................
Was this bullet not the reciever of the NRA award for best bullet in 2011???
Is this not the same bullet loaded in Federal Fussion Ammo???
Here is some more copyed data from another tester, as follows:
"Very impressed of the weight retention of these bullets as well as accuracy. Shot at 2730 average velocity in my 308 win, into and exited a 10" round of seasoned red fir at 50 yards the bullet still weighed 141.1gr. Thats 85.52% weight retention.Fired from 100 yards into the same 10" round and exited, the bullet weighed 141.8gr. Thats 85.95% weight retention. Plus they were the classic mushroom, very happy with this Bonded Budget Bullet. Will update its performance on game after this weekend on Washington coastal black bears." Thank you Speer.

I have a friend that has shot two Whitetails with these bullets from his 270W and he told me both shots were under 150 yds, broadsiders and he lung shot both of them. However both deer ran off short distances and when found had very small exit holes ................. he said that he didnt feel that it transfered the same amount of shock into the animals as a standard 130 Corelokt he has shot many dozens of bucks with. He felt in 150gr it would be a good bullet for the 270W on Elk or Moose! So once again what looks perfect on paper may not work out to be perfect for what you are going to use it for.

This looks like a heck of a bullet from these tests and I am not firmilar with the electro bonding process so cant speak here from experence but ANY bonded bullet in our experences is probably not going to be the correct set up for a two hundred pound animal.................. the public is fairly well hyped up at the moment about premium ammo with glossy boxes and bonded bullets and that is all very good stuff if you need it . Well worth it for large thick skined animals. If I were going to take something out Moose hunting in my old 06 I am guessing these in 180gr would be just the ticket!
However for Black Bears and Whitetails and Muleys and Caribou and Sheep I am going to stick with SSTs or BTs or even plain old Corelokts in a pinch until I see something that transfers more energy into the game I am chasing. I have printed this before but will stick it on here again.
When I was a young apprentice guide in Alaska in the 1970s I was amazed on one of my early Brown Bear hunts taking a client up a Salmon River and shooting a mediumish Bear say around a real 8 footer [now commonly called 8.5 and even 9 foot] and say probably in the 700lb weight class or certainly twice the size of any Black Bear you are likely to shoot in todays world. The hunter had an old model 54 Winchester in 30/06 he was using Remington Corelokt bullets in 180gr, he was a good shot and a cool cucumber while he fired at Big Game. He fired at the bear standing on a gravel bar and I imeadiately saw the gravel on the far bank fly into the air , the bear acted like it was NOT hit, he fired again and I saw the gravel fly again and the bear turned and ran into the alders......................... he never came out. Both bullets had gone thru the bear easily and exited with very small holes on the backside of the 700lb bear transfering who knows how much into the bruin , but transfering plenty into the bank behind him. Now it is very easy to get started down this premium bullet path; But in this case, if you are already "smokin em right thru him", with a plain jane economy bullet, What on earth; would you need a thicker jacket or bonding for??
Now I used bonded bullets for years as a "Backup Bullet" for charging wounded Brown Bears, and that means head on , so you need to get down the whole lenght of them. In that circumstance then bonding is the only way to go . But to shoot a deer or a caribou it just flat isnt needed IMHO.

ps. These guys appear to have them in stock at the moment!
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Speer-Bul ... epCurl.asp

Great points Earle. I agree with you on the deer bullets, almost all of my "deer" loads are BT's that mimick the weight of my elk loads, and they are excellent, from the 95 grain BT for the 243, to the 180 BT out of the 30 cals, with the 150 BT in the 270WSM and 140-150 BT's for the 7mm's in between. Even with those, I have recovered any of them shot into deer and they have all killed really well.

On the flip side, I have smoked a couple deer hear and there with my "Elk loads" with the AB's and PT's and while the kills might not have been quite as dramatic, they still died within a 100 yards or closer, with a ton of blood on the deck.

Not to muddy the water, as I agree with you, a guy will kill deer and black bear just fine with about any bullet out there, if you run it within it's design parameters. Hard to beat the old Core Lokt's on deer and the big Silvertips as well.

We are lucky to have such a good bunch of choices, in ammo these days. When I come to your area for Moose, I will have PT's though! :lol:

I hear ya Scottman............................ and of course we can shoot anything with any bullet. But it sorta cracks me up to watch all this hype about premium bullets and how so and so has them all loaded up and they are all bonded and moly coated and on and on. And come to find out he is hunting wood chucks or shoots the occasional 125 lb deer ????? Why??? Same reason that a guy that hardly plays Golf owns a $400 dollar club, or why a guy that is NEVER going to have a passenger in the back seat has to have a pickup with rear seat and four seperate doors ???? Because its what everyone else is doing?? The gear has become larger than the hunting itself and fifty years ago it was all about hunting and now its all about the gear, the clothes , the gun the scope and of course the premium bullets.
Interesting how times have changed , when I was a kid here in Northern Maine 75% of the homes had an outdoor tolet, kids all wore there older brother or sisters hand me down clothes, people hardly had enough to eat and lots of family had ONE gun that all the kids shared in the family, it was a standing joke on Saturday nites and they drew hot water and made the kids all take a bath that the last one in after 2-3 had already bathed , was sure to come back out almost as dirty as he did gettin in!!!! Now thats Poooooor.
I really have to wonder if the avg kid today that has a degree from some university, that costs his parents a hundred grand for him to attend , and then you find out, he doesnt know the differance between a half hitch and a clove hitch, wouldnt have a clue how to paddle a canoe, or if a thunderstorm was approaching without his Iphone to tell him, would be hopelessly lost in a half hour without his GPS, and seams to have no clue what is really going on [probably voted for Obama], would stand no chance of starting a fire in the rain, without a 5 gal can of Kerosine, is really a smarter? stonger? more well rounded individual, than the 1950's farm boy that grew up with jack , sharing his dads gun, put himself thru college, never had a 25,000 wedding , or new car for graduating, self made man????
Guess what I DONT think so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he aint even close in my book! I asked my newphew if he had ever "Tied a Bowline" and he responded "Is that an internet video game" then proceeded to leave my Dads Winchester 1890, outside under a hemlock tree, when he left for home, And it was there for a week in the rain until I discovered it missing?????? It had a chiped firing pin, and would not go off ever shot, so when he was cleaning up the camp before he left, he swept all the unfired ones up and you guessed it "threw them into the fireplace"................ how do you think that worked out as soon as the next fella lit a fire in there!!!!!! But he has a big degree from Boston University :roll:

double_d":3lpeebl4 said:
Speer DeepCurl out of my 308.....

Not much that wouldn't put a hurtin' on.
The deformation of that bullet is interestingly symmetrical. Have never seen that with a cup and core. Looks like it would do the business.

Are these really considered premiums? To my mind they fit the cup and core mould as much as anything.

Sorry if my comments come across as uninformed. These things are as rare as rocking horse sh!t around here.

Well, I think they sit some solid ground, as they mushroom larger, but will tend to stick together while not giving up much bullet weight and their cost is less than most Cup and Cores.. They are now forever labeled as "tweeners"! :lol:

I will try more in the future and I hope they continue marketing them as they really do offer alot of expansion, good BC and a very useful selection of bullet weights. From the few calibers and weights I have shot, accuracy is good too.

I plan to try some of the 225's in my 338 Win Mag. Might be a great bullet.

Now thats a great turn of phrase "As rare as rockin horse sh*t around here" ............... thats a good one~ :mrgreen:

I wish I could get my hands on some of these. I like their wide mushroom and weight retention. They may not penetrate as deep with that large expanded surface area but would certainly transfer a mess of energy.

The Fusion bullet is made using the same process but is a different style of bullet. I have seen the results of almost a dozen Fusion bullets on elk and deer and they have performed well.

Good point Catskill, and I wasnt sure about the Fusion Ammo as someone had posted that they were the same bullet but I wasnt sure if it was or not, thanks for clearing that up!

Back