180 AB/ .300WSM vs. Caribou

A

Anonymous

Made the shot....about 75 yds. MV of 2900 and change, probably 2850 at impact.

Punched clean through, big exit, dead critter.

No fragments in the wound channel- love the ABs!

Yup, hard to not like that! I know mine is loaded with 180 AB's right now.. Might get to hunt some this Fall... Might....

I do like the performance of 180 grain bullets in my 300 WSMs. They have always brought home the game, whether elk or moose or black bear.

Caribou at 350yds. 2 shots, neither recovered. 1st shot through the liver and punched clean through with good expansion. 2nd shot through the top of the shoulders and spine- lots of bone but the bullet still penetrated through and I found no fragments in the channel.

Caribou at 150yds with the .300WSM/180AB .... through the onside shoulder and out through the offside ribs.

Oddly enough, the wife found a piece of bullet jacket in the backstrap? What the heck...hard to tell from the mangled piece of jacket but it looks smaller than something shed from a .30 cal and is in a really bizarre spot from a shoulder to rib pass through.... old wound perhaps?

I might be howled down but I am convinced that the Nosler AccuBond is the perfect big game bullet for the purposes it's intended to address.

Fantastically accurate, flat shooting and with the most brilliant terminal performance you could want.

bobnob":1t80ajpb said:
I might be howled down but I am convinced that the Nosler AccuBond is the perfect big game bullet for the purposes it's intended to address.

Fantastically accurate, flat shooting and with the most brilliant terminal performance you could want.

I'll not howl you down...not one bit. I think the AB is THE hunting bullet these days. I've shot a fair number of critters with them and have yet to recover one and I've yet to see anything but large exits which indicate full expansion.

What's not to like?

The accuracy of a Ballistic Tip or a Match bullet and the on-game performance of a Partition.... :grin:

3 more critters down...

A small caribou at 40yds- perfect pass through, no fragmentation despite full MV at impact.

A wolf at 20'- entry through nose and exited below the pelvis. Pretty much liquified everything between. Fearful pelt damage.

A yearling bull at 245yds. Perfect through and through- entry behind onside shoulder. Everything above the diaphragm was purple soup. Exit through the offside shoulder.

Very nice. Hard to beat the ABs. Pretty tough customers. Thinking about running the 200ABs in the 338 this fall for elk. They've done great in my bullet tests.

SJB358":1t20p50t said:
Very nice. Hard to beat the ABs. Pretty tough customers. Thinking about running the 200ABs in the 338 this fall for elk. They've done great in my bullet tests.

A buddy of mine has been using the 180AB in his .338WM with stellar results. Can't think the 200AB would be any different.

Another caribou falls to the 180AB...

Impact perfect broadside in the low lungs at 348 yds. Complete pass through encountering a lot of bone- no bullet fragments found. Impact velocity likely in the 2300fps range.

Back