165 grand slam 30.06 vs jugs

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
165 Speer grand slam from my old Winchester 30.06. Speed measured ten feet from muzzle is 2865. This is one of two favorite rifle bullet combos I own. I have personally killed half dozen whitetails with it, maybe fifteen cow or spike elk and an antelope with the match up. I have never lost an animal nor have I ever recovered a bullet. I know others with similar success stories, but here is the jug test. From one hundred yards it cleaned four jugs and was in between fourth and fifth,fifth jug dented and torn open but not penetrated. Pics will show retained weight, largest diameter was .740. This is Winchester once fired brass, fed210m primer, 59gr imr4350 which is most accurate from my rifle, also over max. . .as with everything, it could be shot faster, but not as accurate and more importantly WHY?! I see no reason to dump tons of energy into the hill behind the animal-I think this is one reason the .06 has been so successful for so long. I think that maybe the ballistic tip for example may be better for whitetails or antelope, but I've never had a reason to complain about the grand slam-except that it is almost impossible to find in this weight in stores! I did buy a bunch in .284 to work up and see them frequently in 150 for .30 cal. . .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 2,018
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,017
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,018
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,018
I maybe should mention I mostly bowhunt my home state, started hunting whitetails cause the meat is much better than our mule deer and most years my nephews are using this rifle, I just go along to pack meat and mentor.

The Grand Slam has always serve me well in almost every instance. They can be a tad difficult to find in this area, but they perform quite well, as your test shows.

Nice looking mushroom! I have used the 165 Grand Slam a few years ago in my .30-06. It always shot well and I killed a couple of deer with that bullet and had no issues. I use the 165 Nosler Partitions now, at least for hunting. That is really good performance for the Grand Slam though. I am not surprised that you have not recovered many from deer.

I tried some GS in my 300 WM, when they first came out. To make I long story short I killed a couple of animals at very close range with a 180 GS. I sent the pictures to Speer, and they sent me more (which I sold) and a nice note explaining that they were most effective at velocities below 2800 fps. I know that they work very well in the 06 class of cartridges, but not so good up close.

Interesting report. I have a box of OLD 285 gr Speer Grand Slam bullets for my .375... Someday I'll give 'em a try.

Back