165gr .308

skidmark

Beginner
Oct 27, 2013
While in between guns I shot 3 different .308 165gr
bullets to test. all shots were @ 2640 fps and 50yds at 6 jugs.

1. NP 5jugs
2. Speer BTSP 5 jugs
3. Sierra Gameking 4 jugs found cup on ground no core
Was Impressed with the cheaper Speers didn't separate like the
GK and had a lot of expansion

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,375
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,375
Very nice. That Speer looks real good. The PT, well, it looks like all the rest, perfect!

Great test, thanks for posting.

I agree The PT is the best bullet for hunting I have found
I cant believe the Speer stayed in one piece it was a violent impact like the
Gameking. But 50yds is close.

Yes, those Speer bullets have been quietly and efficiently serving as excellent hunting bullets for a long time. I've used quite a few over the years, though I prefer the Noslers.

BTW, re the Game King, it's deadly as all get out on deer as well.

Thanks for posting that.

mrandrew":3eu4m7qt said:
that speer had a .52 b.c... why do people prefer the nosler?

Which Speer 165 has a BC of .520? I would bet it isn't the Grand Slam.

drew
The Partition has a 60+ year, record of stellar performance in the field on big game. Year after year, test after test, it has outperformed most all others in expansion, and penetration. It gets the job done.

Keep in mind that Bill and I have been using Partitions for over 100 years between us!

Man! Sierra should patent that jacket core separation! :mrgreen:

Tough to beat a Nosler PT, it always works.

JD338

skidmark":2qbwcq41 said:
FOTIS":2qbwcq41 said:
Man! Sierra should patent that jacket core separation! :mrgreen:
But they shoot soooo good. :lol:

So do the BT's for me and I trust their on game performance far more. 8)

mrandrew":1dv933q4 said:

If you run the numbers there is a sub MOA difference in drop between the two, the Partition at .410 BC and the Speer at .520 BC at 2640 FPS out to about 475 Yds. The drop for the Partition at 300 Yds is 15.9 inches vs the drop for the Speer 14.9 inches. Now I'm a pretty good shot, but I know in a field setting that 1 inch difference at 300 Yds is not going to mean anything. If you are concerned about wind a 5 MPH wind at 300 will push the Partition off 4.2 inches and the Speer off 3.3 inches. In all reality the cant of your rifle left or right a few degrees could account for a larger dispersion than the above listed windage numbers. Bottom line: what you see on paper is only about half the story on a good day, those numbers have to be looked at in a realistic light by the shooter.
For the record though I was impressed by the Speer, the Partition is the same old consistent and boring thing lol.

Because , if you are going to kill anything more lifelike than paper, the Nosler is a much better consistent performing bullet at killing live game? Somebody with (9) posts comes on the "Nosler forum" and disses Nosler in favor of Speer? Cut me some slack!

Oldtrader3":sg2yvg6o said:
Because , if you are going to kill anything more lifelike than paper, the Nosler is a much better consistent performing bullet at killing live game? Somebody with (9) posts comes on the "Nosler forum" and disses Nosler in favor of Speer? Cut me some slack!

Is this addressed to me?

Oldtrader3":1ji787fc said:

If you go back and actually read my post you will see that I was responding to mrandrew who questioned why people liked the nosler so much due to its low BC, or Ballistic Coefficient, and that the Speer had a higher BC, or Ballistic Coefficient of .52.
My response was to him basically saying that the lower BC or Ballistic Coefficient of the Nosler Partition made no difference out to about 475 yds. So infact I was defending Nosler and not speer. How is that for only 9 posts?
Thanks for the welcome....

pisc1024":2560hoji said:
mrandrew":2560hoji said:

If you run the numbers there is a sub MOA difference in drop between the two, the Partition at .410 BC and the Speer at .520 BC at 2640 FPS out to about 475 Yds. The drop for the Partition at 300 Yds is 15.9 inches vs the drop for the Speer 14.9 inches. Now I'm a pretty good shot, but I know in a field setting that 1 inch difference at 300 Yds is not going to mean anything. If you are concerned about wind a 5 MPH wind at 300 will push the Partition off 4.2 inches and the Speer off 3.3 inches. In all reality the cant of your rifle left or right a few degrees could account for a larger dispersion than the above listed windage numbers. Bottom line: what you see on paper is only about half the story on a good day, those numbers have to be looked at in a realistic light by the shooter.
For the record though I was impressed by the Speer, the Partition is the same old consistent and boring thing lol.

Good observation, pisc1024. Either bullet will perform well, and at longer distances velocity will have dropped enough to ensure that either will give good performance.

Back