.300 win mag 180 scirrocco II jugs

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
Been tinkering with this bullet awhile now. I've used it successfully in a factory load and just starting hand loading it in my .300 wm. I avoided it for a long time due to stories of it being too fickle to load. I've done very well with it in my .284 rifles and just now starting my other rifles. It loves to be seated deep, very similar in that regard to the ablr bullet.
Jug test is one hundred yards, mv measured at ten feet with a three shot average of 2907 from 67.5 gr of imr 4831. Ill try some other powders next but this one gave 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Sent the first three jugs into orbit before breaking 6 jugs total and the standard dent inthe back of number six. Retained 152 grains, no good at math so you do the percentage.
Shot from my rem. 700, bedded but no other modifications.
One last thing-recently I met and visited with mr. Hober at a trade show. I was very surprised how friendly he was and with a surprising lack of arrogance. We had a good visit and I walked away with new found respect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 5,480
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5,481
I've used Swift bullets in a variety of cartridges for quite a few years. Both the A-Frame, the Scirocco and the Scirocco II have served me well in a variety of situations. Eighty-four percent weight retention is pretty good performance. The bullet will provide excellent results on game, no doubt.

The Scirocco is one of the very best bonded bullets out there, thanks for doing the test.

Firebird,

Thanks for the test data.
That is pretty impressive results for sure. 84.5% weight retention will ensure deep penetration with a large frontal area. That is an elk bullet for sure.

JD338

Looks really good Firebird, I've been working with the 150 version in my 7mm Rem Mag and notice the same thing about seating depth, no good luck .050" off the rifling, hoping to keep pushing them back and see what pops up.

They do look like really good game bullets and they are sleek as well. Price is very good as well.

Looks real good!..In my 7mag I got the same results, but with higher weight retention, they are a great bullet no doubt, along with the NP (my 2 favourites) for my 7mag :)

I also shoot the 300gr A-frames, and 300gr PTs out of my .375 H&H (also my 2 favourites)

Thanks for posting, IMO I think the swift scirocco II`s are the best tipped bonded bullet, with that being said, the AccuBond is great too, but the edge goes to the swift.

Lou

i have a 338 win mag that simply loves the 210s. weight retention is impressive too.

str8meat":78b8n0rk said:
i have a 338 win mag that simply loves the 210s. weight retention is impressive too.

That is one of the Swift's, I would like to try out in the future. It looks very impressive in the 338. What is your load for it?

Are they an accurate bullet or fussy like the interbond?

FOTIS":2ukvesnt said:

I have an experience of one right now Fotis, but if you back them .1" off the rifling, they will shoot and shoot well. Very impressed. Tried them .050" off and wasn't getting anything. Was beginning to think something was wrong with the rifle.

So for the 300 Bee it should be great with all that freebore

FOTIS":2lakjozk said:
So for the 300 Bee it should be great with all that freebore

Could be. They have performed amazingly well in some rifles with massive freebore for me.

I notice the loading data shown from Swift is different then Nosler for a 180 gr. bullet. If memory serves me the max load from the Nosler book is 71. grains IMR 4350. My last elk hunt I used Hornady 180 gr. Spire points, IMR 4350 with a load I won't mention but it was worked up for my rifle. It proved accurate and deadly.
The Swift book shows max with IMR 4350 as 68.5. Is there more bearing surface to the Swift or does the all copper jacket generate higher pressures?
Just wondering as I'm always looking at new bullets and loads.

The differing bearing surface and the composition of the bullet all combine to change charges.

My bad. The max load for the 180 Nosler is 70. grains not 71. Only 1/2 a grain difference between that and the Swift. Not so much as I thought.

I like this bullet a bunch, I'll be using the same 180gr Scirocco in my new 300 win mag as well, I well run one into the jugs too ( at about +/- 3000fps) and see what I get from my test

Lou

I killed a brown bear with this bullet a few years back with my 300 RUM. Ended up taking a frontal shot on the bear and hit him directly in the chest at about 15 yards. The 180gr SI 2 bullet penetrated the bear full-length and exited, dropping him on the spot. 3250 fps muzzle velocity.

FOTIS":1snxcsrh said:

Hello Mr. FOTIS. I've used this bullet in my 300 Win. I think it is a very accurate bullet. People just need to know how to put the puzzle together. I believe people are not seating this bullet deep enough. A guy could start at .050 and keep going deeper, till one finds the happy spot.

I'm about .1 as well. with 75 grains of H-4831 I get one half inch groups with this load.

Happy hunting

Back