300 Weatherby vs. 270 Win Jug Test

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I recently picked up a USRAC Winchester Model 70 in 300 Weatherby and just got a chance to shoot it. It came with a couple boxes of ammo, both factory Weatherby ammunition in 180 grain Weatherby Spitzers and 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. I wanted to try them out compared to my Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in .270 Winchester and my handloaded 130 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in front of 61 grains of H4831SC and Nosler brass.

Weatherby advertises the 180 grain Spitzers at 3,150 and the Accubonds at 3,250. The barrel on my new 300 Weatherby is 26" so these might be close. My handloads should be right at 3,150 but I haven't chronoed them.

1.JPG
The 300 Weatherby and my old standby Supergrade 270 Win.

23.JPG
The Model 70 chambered for 300 Weatherby wears a Weatherby Supreme 3x9x44 mm and the Supergrade sports a Leupold VXII 3x9x50 mm from the Leupold Custom Shop with a fine duplex reticle and the CDS System

7.JPG
From left to right, 300 Weatherby factory ammo with Weatherby 180 grain spitzers; factory Weatherby ammo with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds, 270 Winchester handloads with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips pushed by 61 grains of H4831 SC stuffed in Nosler brass and WLR Primers.

22.JPG
My range in our front yard. My homemade rifle rest from the back of our pickup.

I had not shot the 300 Weatherby yet so I pulled my homemade 3/4" plate steel gong out and boresighted it at 50 yards, the distance I decided to do the jug test. The first shot after bore sighting was exactly on so I left it for the test. I will fine tune it later on a less windy day.

20.JPG
I was surprised to see that it almost completely penetrated the 3/4 plate steel gong. The dent to the right was from a 338 Lapua with 250 Grain Sierra Matchkings shot at the other side. The 300 Weatherby made a similar dent on the backside.

9.JPG

The Weatherby ammo, loaded with 180 Grain Weatherby Spitzers made it into 4 jugs. It retained 90.8 grains or 50.4% and expanded to .846 inches.

The Weatherby ammo, loaded with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds, made it through the 5th jug, dented and cracked the 6th, and was found sitting between the two jugs (I'll attach more pics as I am already at the max of 6). It retained 106.4 grains or 59.1 % and expanded to .621 inches.

The 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads out of my 270 Winchester made it into the fourth jug. It retained 45.4 grains or 34.9% and expanded to .596 inches. There was no lead core left, only the copper shank/jacket was recovered.

I will try to attach more pictures to a response to this post.

Todd

5.JPG
The Weatherby 180 Grain Spitzers' final weight.

13.JPG
Only a very small amount of the lead core remained on the copper shank of the Weatherby 180 grain Spitzer.

12.JPG
This is where the 180 grain Nosler AccuBond was found; resting between the 5th and 6th jug.
11.JPG
The 180 Grain Nosler AccuBond fired from a 300 Weatherby in Weatherby factory ammo at 3,250 fps at 50 yards.

6.JPG
The final weight of the 180 Grain Nosler AccuBond.

18.JPG
The 270 Winchester made it into 4 jugs with the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3,150.

10.JPG
The handloaded 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip after 4 jugs.

21.JPG
All three bullet specifications.

Would be interesting to see how the AB compares to a TSX or GMX. Great tests though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Kool thks for sharing ! That 270 - 130 gr Ballistic Tip held up well for a light jacked cup and core bullet !

:) RJ

Awesome test! That's really awesome stuff!

I love that 300 Weatherby!

Man the MV for that 180 Norma same as the 130 gr BT ? That is smoking for a 180 gr ! I have ran some Weatherby Factory rounds thru the chrony and you will not be surprised as they do what they are advertised!

HOGWILD338-378":14gtncze said:
Man the MV for that 180 Norma same as the 130 gr BT ? That is smoking for a 180 gr ! I have ran some Weatherby Factory rounds thru the chrony and you will not be surprised as they do what they are advertised!

Are the Weatherby 180 grain Spitzers Norma Oryx? They look like it I guess. They advertise the 180 grain Accubonds at 3,250, 100 fps faster than the Spitzers. They are really smokin out of there.

I think the 180 spitzer are a Hornady Spire Point. Not positive though. It's not an Oryx though. They are very tough bullets. They might expand a ton but they will hang together.

SJB358":1qdbfyme said:
I think the 180 spitzer are a Hornady Spire Point. Not positive though. It's not an Oryx though. They are very tough bullets. They might expand a ton but they will hang together.

I think you are right Scotty. I thought the Oryxs were bonded but not sure of it.

Weatherby does use a lot of Hornady Bullets.
When I get a chance I might have to put the 300Bee up against my 35 Whelen using 200gr bullets in both and see which one will out perform the other. I'm thinking the old 35 Whelen might get the edge.

I wouldn't bet against a 200 PT in the Weatherby. That bullet will really hammer and drive very deep!

Since 200gr AB in .358 are scares and few to be found they will have to be 200gr Hornady inter locks since that is what I have for the Whelen. and that would be comparing apples to apples.

Spitzers are a Norma offering and at a great price the SP is the Hornady Spire Point ( interlock ) with a larger BC than the Norma Spitzer!
http://www.weatherby.com/_docs/Weatherb ... istics.pdf
Spitzer is Norma's take on Hornadys Spire Point play on names I think? Pointy bullet !

TD you can answer you own question vs the 35 Whelen if ya know the numbers as Weatherby numbers are linked above! Mr Roy was all about speed :mrgreen:
Since a fair comparison would be= to a 338 win mag and not. 300 Wby let's compare it with what it should be paired with :shock: 338-378 :lol: you will smile real big when ya launch that round for sure and a closer comparison ! Especially in bullet comparison! :mrgreen:
No disrespect to the Whelen guys intended

HOGWILD338-378":1v6u1ocd said:
Spitzers are a Norma offering and at a great price the SP is the Hornady Spire Point ( interlock ) with a larger BC than the Norma Spitzer!
http://www.weatherby.com/_docs/Weatherb ... istics.pdf
Spitzer is Norma's take on Hornadys Spire Point play on names I think? Pointy bullet !

TD you can answer you own question vs the 35 Whelen if ya know the numbers as Weatherby numbers are linked above! Mr Roy was all about speed :mrgreen:
Since a fair comparison would be= to a 338 win mag and not. 300 Wby let's compare it with what it should be paired with :shock: 338-378 :lol: you will smile real big when ya launch that round for sure and a closer comparison ! Especially in bullet comparison! :mrgreen:
No disrespect to the Whelen guys intended

Thanks for the info on the Norma Spitzers! You learn something new every day!

There are better bullets in Weatherby aka Norma offerings in the real Weatherby calibers but I have heard of people actually killing animals with the Norma rounds but me I would probably run a Partition, TBBC or a TSX but I think it would depend which the rifle like the best! My friend has a 5 panel older Deluxe in 300 Wby that loves 150 gr Norma Spitzers! Tack driver he says!

Back