180 PT 300 Win Mag

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a recovered 180 PT from Bill's elk. It was found in the ball joint on the front leg. Won't have a chance to weigh it for a few days, but it really did some work..

Bill can fill you in with the details on the load and range as well.

Wow, that is bang on what the good old Partitions should look like. Very impressive hold together even thru that amount of bone. Can't wait to hear the final weight.

The initial shot quartering away was ranged at 363 yards. The bullet entered about 4 ribs back and exited out through the center of the chest. That should have put him down, but when I got too him, (down and then up), he bolted into the timber. Where he went about 130 yards and stopped broadside, behind a tree. A head shot put him down instantly, (I hate head shots.). And also instantly he was on his feet again and moved a few more yards. I was tired of that game and he was going deeper into the wrong canyon, so the last shot (the bullet in the picture), was just behind the near shoulder and into the joint on the other side. He was then down for the count. I truly expected to see that the bullet had exited but as everyone can see it did not. That still surprises me. The load out of the 300 WM has been my standard for 44 seasons, 72 gr., H-4350, with the 180 gr. PT.

Bill,

Excellent performance. Congratulations on your bull!

JD338

Excellent

Impact velocity I am guessing at 2850 fps or so!

Very awesome for sure, I'll be using this in my 300 win mag this fall, I've always loved the PT and going to run one into the jugs in a week or two, my 300 prints them under .75 @ 100yds easy, darn great bullet for sure!

Lou (y)

At the end of the day, there will be those that used the .300 Winchester and others that wished they had!

Jim

Kodiak":3mwmnes3 said:
At the end of the day, there will be those that used the .300 Winchester and others that wished they had!

Jim

Can't argue with that Jim. Not at all!

Back