180 Swift Scirocco II - .300 win mag

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Shot this bullet today right off the muzzle, maybe 10yds tops, shoots awesome and looks like a winner.
Muzzle velocity 2960 fps, 6 jugs, expansion .636" and retained 144grs (80%)

Lou

How is it in the accuracy department? The original Scirocco 1 was a bear to get to shoot.

One of the best bonded bullets out there, not surprised it looks like that.

FOTIS":2aklp5cy said:
How is it in the accuracy department? The original Scirocco 1 was a bear to get to shoot.

Hi Fotis, it shoots .488" at 100 yds out of my Tikka (this is factory loaded ammo, I have a few different types of powder to try and copy or come close to this load, while keeping the same COAL.

This 3 shot group went .382" at 100 yds, before any elevation/windage adjustments

Thanks for looking,
Lou

Lou,

Looks great, both accuracy and bullet performance.
Should make for a good moose load.

JD338

JD338":3vmbs1pd said:
Lou,

JD338

Thanks Jim, I'm looking forward to testing this combo on Bear in September, and for Moose in Newfoundland first week in November, I fly out on October 31st pal (y)

Lou

gerry":1knvkbi1 said:

Hard to disagree with that. Very few do that well with that sorta impact.

Fotis, I wouldn't be scared at all of the Sciroccos. Treat them like an AB and you'll be golden. In almost all instances they prefer a large jump. If the 200 PTs didn't work in my sons 300 WBY, next up was going to be the 180 Swift. They make darned good bullets. Price is pretty competitive when compared with Interbonds and Accubonds.

SJB358":2aeubqcu said:
gerry":2aeubqcu said:

Hard to disagree with that. Very few do that well with that sorta impact.

Fotis, I wouldn't be scared at all of the Sciroccos. Treat them like an AB and you'll be golden. In almost all instances they prefer a large jump. If the 200 PTs didn't work in my sons 300 WBY, next up was going to be the 180 Swift. They make darned good bullets. Price is pretty competitive when compared with Interbonds and Accubonds.

Agreed on the Swift's SI 2 liking a big jump. Every rifle I've tried them in I got good accuracy. I always start off by seating them long and then just seat them deeper and deeper until I find the sweet spot.

LD375":7cgv8qs2 said:
JD338":7cgv8qs2 said:
Lou,

JD338

Thanks Jim, I'm looking forward to testing this combo on Bear in September, and for Moose in Newfoundland first week in November, I fly out on October 31st pal (y)

Lou

You're loaded for bear!

JD338

Ordered two box's one can "never" have enough bullets, 180 .308. If my rifle likes them I will test one or two on elk this fall.

Elkman":20i9kyzb said:
Ordered two box's one can "never" have enough bullets, 180 .308. If my rifle likes them I will test one or two on elk this fall.

I think you'll like them Bill. I'm sure your old 300 will shoot them well. Remember, don't get discouraged if they don't perk when they are seated at mag length. I'd probably start at .025, .050, .075 and .1 off the rifling just to see what looks the most promising. I'm betting one of them will look better than the others.

Elkman":3fi88amx said:

Go for it Bill :) ..I'm sure you'll find a super load for them 8) ..I hope I can put 1 through a bear come September, for the first time in 32 yrs, my wife is coming along with me on this one :grin:

It well be a hunt and vacation in a comfy cozy log cabin on the lake in Northern Ontario (y)

Lou

That sounds like a great hunt Lou. I like it when the wife accompanies me while we or just I am hunting. She usually relaxes as much or more than me.

I'd love to see you run one into another elk this Fall Bill. Should be a good year to do it.

The old Scirocco bullet served me well; and the Scirocco II works just that much better. I shot it quite a bit from either the 7 RM or the 300 WSM over the years.

Back