Loading the 223

officerdare

Beginner
Sep 28, 2005
Just picked up a Savage bolt action FCNS model. It has a 1 in 9 twist. Nosler manual shows their stuff was tested on a 1 in 12 twist. Any recipes out there for the 223 with the 1/9 twist? Thanks.

You'd be fine using the 1/12 data. It wont effect the charge amounts at all. Are you concerned with miler stability?

Not familiar with the Miler stability. Being lazy, didnt want to expend a bunch of time, powder, etc on trying to find a load for the 223 bolt action using 55gr and up bullets.

I hear ya. If you want to save $ on components- let us know what brass, powder, and bullet you have. If you have a chronograph or access to one, even better. I won't mind helping with finding your barrels nodes and help you narrow down a good load.

I did a twist rate spreadsheet not too long ago, and one .224 bullet I did was a 60 gr Partition. If I recall, it's optimal suggested twist rate was 11. I'm about to do an estimate for a 64 gr, but I suspect it too will be 11. Though, they shoot great in my 1:9. Great enough to not even be concerned with the suggested twist rate.

Thanks. Will gather up my bullets, cases, and powders and let you know. Appreciate the help. Also putting together an AR and got a heck of a deal on a Ruger Mini 14. But focus will be on my Savage and good 200-300 yard range.

Yes on the chronograph, though I’ve not had it out for a long time, mainly have relied upon the groups to determine which load to fine tune. My list of components:
Primers: Win (WSR) and Fed (205), though I’m going to have to look at getting more, since I’ve never loaded w/small rifle primers before.
Powder: RL 7, 10, 15
Varget (1/4 - 1/2# left)
I-4895, 4064 and 4320 (2# of each)
H4895 (3#)
Benchmark (1#)
Brass: Large quantity of once fired military, deprived and swaged, and couple hundred Win.
Bullets: Mainly Nosler: 40g BT, 50g Shots, 50g BST, 50g BT, 55g BST, 55g BT, 60g BT and Par, with 62g coming.
Sierra: 55g BTSP
Midway: 50 and 55g Dogtown's

Back