30/06 165AB 2900FPS 200 yards

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
This was recovered from Joel's bull he took in Wyoming. I've got a couple other pictures I need to upload, but it crushed the scapula upon entry, breaking it in half vertically and traveled through the bull breaking up the far side leg bone. Pulled chunks of bone and "sawdust" from the recovery area.

Anyhow, it is .670" at the widest point.

I am very impressed with that AB... Good frontal area and penetration. I can say I wouldn't have any qualms with running it out of a 300 mag as well.

Once I get the butchering pictures I'll post that up as well.

Thanks Scotty! Here is the front side shoulder.

abbc8f07f4ea3b94537058f22a89dd76_zpsjkrfqzib.jpg

71% weight retention is pretty darn good out of that AB. I won't have an problem taking that 165 AB out for elk with my 30-06.

The rest of the story is a 200 yard shot. Bullet MV near 2905, so impact velocity near 2520 or so if the ballistic calculator is correct.

Same here Joel. I'd hunt a 30-06 with bullet performance like that...

A decent load of H4350. I bet Joel will fill in the details.

Picture perfect. That is some impressive performance for sure.

JD338

That is classic performance of the AB. The 165 grain weights were built for the 30-06. That is great performance, for sure.

This load was Nosler brass, CCI 200 primer, 59 grains H4350, and the 165 AB seated 0.075 inches off the lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":17b9tzq6 said:
Same here Joel. I'd hunt a 30-06 with bullet performance like that...
Great story and thanks for sharing. (y)
But I have a question Scotty, does this mean there's a 30-06 in your near future :?: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Scotty will come around. He dreams of a Winchester Model 70 laying under the Christmas tree this year with the legend ".30-06 Sprg" stamped on the barrel! ;)

That's as near perfect bullet performance as one could ask for. The fact that there is elk steak in your freezer should be evidence enough for any "nay-sayers" as to whether the .30-06 is an elk gun or not.

Thanks for sharing!

Dale

I've killed quite a few elk with my 06 and the old nosler solid base. The last few have been with 225 accubonds . They don't stop after going thru elk, (well they are up on the mountainside somewhere!). My 338 will push them through both shoulders and keep going. Someday I might find one. Great bullets! I do have some loaded for my 06 and season is still open. Hmmm

That's great bullet performance.
Now I'm wanting to go load some Accubonds for my 30-06. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":1a5et79m said:
That's great bullet performance.
Now I'm wanting to go load some Accubonds for my 30-06. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You wouldn't be sorry... They shoot flat like a 7 mag and the terminal performance is excellent in my opinion. I also wouldn't be worried about expansion out to around 1900FPS.

Back