.308 Winchester 165 BT on Whitetail -- Warning Graphic

stalker07

Beginner
Jan 12, 2007
I was unable to recover the bullet due to a passthrough. Quartering away shot from 119 yards. Handloaded to approx 2700 fps MV. 1/2 MOA from my Ruger Hawkeye All Weather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,451
Goodness, it did all but skin the poor critter. You game us a warning of the graphic nature of the photos, maybe that whituetail needed a "trigger warning." The picture leads me to believe the deer had only finished feeding or was near finished feeding. The location of the impact appears to have been low and behind the diaphragm, causing massive pressure on the distended peritoneal spaces and the subsequent "explosive response." Bet he didn't run far.

Maybe I should have clarified. The photo was taken in the process of field dressing. That is the remainder of heart and lungs laying on the deer. I removed it not the bullet. Incidentally it is covering the entrance wound which was slightly over caliber size btw. It was shot at a steep downhill angle. Entrance was slightly high of center and exited through offside shoulder low. Clipped the liver going in. Effective load I do believe. Fairly mild recoil even for a .308. Figured I would try it out before turning it over to my Wife :)

Yes, that explanation does help. I looked and marveled that I had never witnessed such devastation. Now, a knife... :mrgreen:

I actually did see devastation such as that from a snap shot with .300 RUM and 200gr AccuBond at about 20 yards that hit low on a frontal shot on a large doe. All that was necessary to complete field dressing was cut the esophagus. And it fell about 20 yards from an atv accessible logging road. That Never happens in WV lol

And here I was set to tell you to get a patent on that load. Think of it. No gutting necessary. Just shoot and take the game home. :mrgreen:

I shot a .308 exclusively for 20 yrs. The BT really shines at .308 velocities(I think 2750fps is perfect) took deer from 20yds to 300 and it never failed me. Congrats on the deer

I've used that very bullet on whitetail - as has my son.

It works really, really well.

No recovered bullets to show. Penetrates right on through, and leaves a very dead deer in its wake.

Congrats, Guy

I appreciate the comments guys. I normally use the 150 grain Partition, however I felt like trying something new. Thrned out to be exceedingly accurate to boot. It will be my standard deer load for general purpose from now on :)

Well, a little follow up. Shot a fairly old, poorly endowed buck yesterday with the same load. Shot was at 227 yards sharply quartering toward. Bullet Punched through the sternum, clipping inside edge of the shoulder on its way. Bullet fragmented pretty bad but I don't mind that. Dead is dead. Heart and lungs were flat out destroyed. The deer flipped back on its back, antlers stuck in the ground instantly. It kicked three times and didn't move. That is the performance I like. Sorry I didn't get any photos it was right at dark when I took the shot and well after before I got to the deer.

Congratulations on another deer. That load is definitely whackin' and stackin'.

Thanks. The load is 44.5 gr IMR-4064, Nosler case and WLRM primer. Very accurate in my rifle. It basically duplicates the M118LR 7.62x51 ballistically. Which I have vast amounts of experience with. I am intimately familiar with its trajectory. The BT as the same BC and is far more consistent on live targets.

Back