165gr Nosler BT VS Coyote Warning:Graphic Wound Channel

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
I don't think 165gr Nosler BT's are good for coyotes if you want to save the pelts,but they sure can kill them quickly.I shot this one with a 30-06 at 125yds, loaded with 58.5grs of AA-4350,WLRM primer,MV @ 2940fps.If you look close at the top of the wound cavity,you can see the little green tip.

Sure put a hurtin' on that puppy! Excellent tag, even if the pelt has been ventilated to such an extent.

Looks like the definitions of "More dead" and "Deader than dead". :grin:

You are correct. Not much of a bullet for saving the pelt. But, with a "Deader than dead" coyote, I wouldn't care too much.

My 130 grain .270 Ballistic tips must have come from the same lot because they did the same thing. Must be a bad run of bullets. Split this one from stem to sternum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,963
I have done the same with my .264 Win Mag and a 120gr BT as I just about cut it in half. Yes it was shot at close range.

I will bet you had no trouble finding him. I use 150's in my .308 but not that kind of performance.

I have shot eight deer with the 165 and 168gr NBT's out of the 30-06.All have been DRT kills,but I never had any extreme size exit wounds like I had on this coyote,but it does leave a good amount of organ tissue and blood spray ten to twenty feet on the other side of the deer after it exits.I have never seen a bullet leave that much sign on exit.It must be at it's peak of expansion about the time it's inside the chest cavity,but the bullet itself seems to be staying together quite well.I'm always getting exits and I not finding a lot of bullet fragments either.It is by far the best performance I've ever seen in a bullet for deer.I'm also getting very similar results with the 150gr NBT out of my 7mag on deer too.

Back