200 gr ELDX

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
I recently did some testing on this out of a 300 Bee some of it has been posted on a topic in the reloading forum but thought I'd make a proper post here.

This is Hornady's new long range HUNTING bullet the ELDX. So far I've tested it at 3000 fps and 2725 fps I hope to test it next week at about 2500fps.

Did 3 tests @ 3000 fps first one appeared to slip out of jug 4 recovered 12.7 gr of 200.

2nd was the recovered jacket 55.9 gr approx 28% retention found one piece of jacket that broke off that was with the jacket. 3rd jug

3rd was 29.8 gr and found in third jug. No exit have no idea where the rest of the jacket went. It was just gone.

Here's it tested at 2725. 70.8 for jacket and 108.7 for jacket and core. 54% retention.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 7,930
Here is a dissected ELDX.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 7,931
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7,931
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 7,930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 7,931
Your tests show that it is still a cup-and-core bullet that will not withstand velocities near or above 3000 fps, which limits use of the bullet in many high velocity cartridges if penetration and integrity are sought. In such instances, close shots are definitely out if penetration and integrity are desired. When velocity drops at greater distance, or if shot from a standard cartridge, the bullet would have some utility. I have no doubt that Hornady will continue to tweak the product until it presents a more viable product for shooters/hunters. For now, maybe I'll just wait.

Reminds me of what the old BT used to do at high velocity. No thank you. I was pretty excited about the 143gr 6.5 version but not so much now.

26NosFan":2kiutbp0 said:
Reminds me of what the old BT used to do at high velocity. No thank you. I was pretty excited about the 143gr 6.5 version but not so much now.

Might become useable at around 700-800 yards.

Agree, not a deep penetrating elk bullet up close at magnum velocities.
Maybe someone can run this bullet at lower velocities to see what it dose at longer ranges.

JD338

I've killed 3 elk at under 100yds with 140gr 6.5mm Amax's doing 3230fps at the muzzle. None of the bullets exited but the end result was still a dead elk. I think the ELD-X will be still be a step up for a bit more penetration. I shot my bull last year with a 162 7mm Amax going 3265fps and wasn't impressed with the penetration but it still resulted in a dead elk. Granted it was 533yds but I probably won't shoot them again and have sold 1000 of them I had. I will try either Berger's or the ELD-X's. There was no damage to the far side rib cage with a lung shot even at 533yd. There was some pretty severe tissue damage in the first few inches and it ruptured the diaphragm but still I was in disbelief that nothing made it to the far side. There is almost no resistance to the lungs so the bullet was expanding violently up impact even at 533yds. The bull fell at the shot but later lifted his head and had to be shot again. Even Berger bullets are tougher than that and some of them are pretty violent. I like tipped bullets though and think they offer more consistent expansion so I'd rather shoot the Hornady ELD-X's if they shoot. The 7mm 162 Amax's make a pretty cool rockchuck bullet though. They remind me of the old 150gr .30 caliber Ballistic Tips.

FOTIS":3ee40mk3 said:
The 200 AccuBond is still calling my name until we tests he 210 ABLR>

As much trouble as I've had getting the ABLRs to shoot consistently for me they have looked a far sight better than anything else LR I've seen. The 210's shed a little more than 50% when I shot them out of the 300 WBY. If you could make them shoot I'd be okay with running them. I just don't have that magic rifle to make them shoot how I want.

SJB358":38bp5l03 said:
FOTIS":38bp5l03 said:
The 200 AccuBond is still calling my name until we tests he 210 ABLR>

As much trouble as I've had getting the ABLRs to shoot consistently for me they have looked a far sight better than anything else LR I've seen. The 210's shed a little more than 50% when I shot them out of the 300 WBY. If you could make them shoot I'd be okay with running them. I just don't have that magic rifle to make them shoot how I want.

ABLR's are the devil to get shooting decent!

But Man when they do.....

My hunting partner and I killed 3 deer last year with 200g ELD-X's shot from a 20" suppressed 308. This was a whitetail hunt in Northern Idaho where shots are typically not very long. All three deer were killed between 50-80 yards. Impact velocities were probably around 2300-2400fps. While all three deer where killed with one shot, the blood shot was more than any I've ever experienced. I shot one deer at a fairly steep angle, and the bullet struck between the shoulder blades angling down into the chest. The blood shot started at the neck, and extended all the way to the hams. The entire back was black with blood shot. I lost a fair amount of the back straps even though the entrance wound was slightly in from of them. I know these bullets fly extremely well, but be aware they are pretty fragile, as reported above.

Appears they may be even more soft than the SST, which is a bullet I like but at impact speeds 2800 and under.

Wonder how the ELD-M version would fare? Hard to imagine it would be tougher.

I had high hopes for ELDX they got the bullet right but needs to be bonded.

I shot a whitetail buck in the shoulder with a 143gr ELD-X from my 264 win mag. Impact velocity was 3000fps and it came apart. The buck died on the spot but I didn't find any pieced of the bullet big enough to recover. It shoots great but doesn't seem anywhere near as tough as the AccuBond. Even the Bergers I've used penetrate better because they expand deeper in the animal.

I think I will retire the ELDX before even shooting them.
They needed to be bonded.

Not to be a smart aleck but the very name of this bullet implies that it's meant for long range. There's not too much need for an advanced technology bullet with so called extremely low drag, on 200 yd shots. With shots way out there, speeds would be greatly reduced but still in it's wheel house. For those that attempt and make those very long shots say out past 600, a long range accurate and fragile bullet might be just the ticket. For me and my hunting uses, not so much.

ShadeTree":22sb7ztv said:
Not to be a smart aleck but the very name of this bullet implies that it's meant for long range. There's not too much need for an advanced technology bullet with so called extremely low drag, on 200 yd shots. With shots way out there, speeds would be greatly reduced but still in it's wheel house. For those that attempt and make those very long shots say out past 600, a long range accurate and fragile bullet might be just the ticket. For me and my hunting uses, not so much.

I agree with this, what little I know about it. I don’t think anything other than a Barnes is going to hold up unscathed at some of the blistering speeds some shooters expect to see today. So many people set up for the long range shot when most game shots are taken under 300. The LR bullet is probably going to explode there, hello?

One in my group shot a black bear at normal hunting range with an AccuBond out of a 7-Ultra, smoking along at 3400 or whatever. Two solid hits and never recovered the bear after 2 days of intense searching. They aren’t perfect either.

My theory on the ELDX, especially at magnum velocities is shoot heavy for caliber bullets.

I setup my 300WM using the 212g and I'm at 2900 or so at the muzzle. At 300 yards, it's already under 2500fps. Nothing that will tear up a big, heavy cup and core. I'm not sure I'd go lighter than that.

I think the LRABs are probably a better constructed bullet. But I'm having to shoot less ELD-Xs to get great groups. LRABs take a bit to dial in.

Back