300 win mag 180gr Partition (protected point)

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Fired this morning from my 300 win mag @ close to 3000 fps from a distance of 10 yds to see how well this bullet would hold up to the stress test,

Expansion is .588"
Weight retention was 122grs

The bullet made a good size hole
in the 7th jug, with water pouring out of it, but some how stayed in the 6th jug, and still maintained it's front core!..Very impressed with this bullet, well done Nosler!

That'll do, Lou. Not much still stalking the earth that that load won't pacify.

Nice!

As I understand it, Nosler created that bullet specifically for the .300 Win mag. Apparently they hit the nail on the head!

Can you post a photo of an unfired 180 Protected Point Partition next to the expanded one you recovered?

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3aj4d01s said:
Nice!

As I understand it, Nosler created that bullet specifically for the .300 Win mag. Apparently they hit the nail on the head!

Can you post a photo of an unfired 180 Protected Point Partition next to the expanded one you recovered?

Regards, Guy

Hi Guy, I would do that, but haven't any loose one's, they're all loaded up unless I pull one, they say that the PP's are also more accurate than the spitzer Partition's, but have a lower bc of .361

Lou

stew":14w83pk6 said:
Has any one tried them out of the 30-06 yet I have a box coming to try.

Sad to say I have and I was not pleased with the results. Velocity was an estimated 2700 FPS based on data from several manuals. No chronographs back in the mid 70's. Actually the year was 1978 as it was my last deer hunt in the state of Nevada.
Shots were at 25 to 35 yards tops on the biggest bodied Mule Deer buck I've ever seen. First shot clipped the top of the heart cutting a nice neat groove in the top of the muscle but did not break it open. Shot number two was smack dab through the lungs. Shots number three three and four were misses and shot number five broke his neck ending that fiasco. Upon autopsy I noted the groove in the heat and the hole in the lungs looked like someone had just shoved a pencil through them. No apparent tissue disruption noted. Except for the hole, the lungs appeared undamaged. :?: FWIW, the four skinned quarters weight out at 295 pounds on a certified butchers scale. He was quite old and based on his teeth, I seriously doubt he'd have made in through the coming winter.
The only thing I can figure is the bullets just did not open up properly. Maybe they just zipped on through. I do remember shooting the rest up on tin cans and the such. Accuracy was very good BTW. If memory serves, I loaded them up for an elk hunt a year or two earlier. Maybe that had something to do with it but I really do not know. Guess I really can't call it a failure as I did get that deer. Anyway that's my one and only experience with that bullet.
Paul B.

stew":3o1piwvq said:

It'll look exactly the same Stew. Partitions seem to always look the same, drive them fast or slower, they look about the same.

My pops took moose, elk, deer, bear and God knows what else with the Federal Premiums in his 30/06. They worked really well.

SJB358":hlc26ume said:
stew":hlc26ume said:

It'll look exactly the same Stew. Partitions seem to always look the same, drive them fast or slower, they look about the same.

My pops took moose, elk, deer, bear and God knows what else with the Federal Premiums in his 30/06. They worked really well.
Ya I will try them and see, the store said they had both the protected point partitions and accubonds in the 180 grain but by the time I ordered they only had one box of the partitions left wanted to try both, oh well will find some accubonds at a later date unless really like how the partitions shoot.

My recent order to Grafs includes 165 gr partitions and 180 gr PPs to try in the old Ruger .300 Win. mag.. Looking forward to tryin' them out!

Jim

Looks pretty typical of the partitions that I've recovered from game animals. They occasionally have a bit of the forward core remaining above the Partition which usually falls out. More often the forward section is "lead free" upon recovery.

This bullet was recovered from an American bison. It is a 260gr .375 Partition. Total penetration before the off side hide grabbed the expanded bullet.
The drop of (expanding) Gorilla glue that I put under the lead can be seen around the edges. Crazy glue would have been a better idea.

260_Part_2.JPG

That is one of the bullets I would like to try on my 300 Win Mag, but the barrel has not met the lathe yet. :mrgreen: Soon, real soon.

JD338":2r6wr97b said:
Nice recovery Charlie

JD338

Oddly enough, my first shot at the buffalo, taken off-hand at 125yds, resulted in NO evidence of an impact!! The big bull just stood there unimpressed. As I racked in another round the bull turned around 180 degrees and presented a broadside shot from the opposite side. I dropped another bullet behind the shoulder and watched the big boy shudder, but that was it. I chambered a 3rd round but it wasn't needed because the bull was swaying around like the wind was blowing him about. Within a few seconds he slammed into the ground.

I recovered both 260 gr Partitions which looked identical.

Buffalo8.jpg

Handsome bull, Charlie! Consequently, that is a fine looking rifle you have there.

Back