Hornady ELD-Match vs Nosler Ballistic Tips on water jugs

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I was bored today so I headed off to the range with 12 water jugs to test the performance of the 178 ELD- Match and the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tip for the .308. I checked velocity of both loads and they both looked mild loads to me without any pressure signs, the 178 grain ELD-Match was at 2,680 fps with 42.8 grain IMR-4064 and the 168 Nosler Ball. Tips at 2720 with 43.8 grains of Varget. Spread out a 8x8 tarp at 30 paces to collect any fragments that may bounce off the jugs, etc. Lined up 6 jugs for the ELD-Match and the bullet disintegrated when it passed through the first jug and some fragments ripped through the tarp and a chunk of lead or copper continued through 3 more jugs and made a dent on the 5th jug with no bullet or copper jacket intact. It was disappointing.

2nd test with the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips with 6 more jugs,,,bullet ripped through 5 jugs just to make a dent on the 6th jug, some bullet fragments on the tarp with some pieces of green poly tip, lead and copper jacket. The core separated somewhere between 3rd and 4th jug and lead fragment continued on to the 6th jug to bounce off and lost somewhere in the field.

Results: seems that the Ballistic Tips does work as a hunting bullet at 25 yards, and for the 178 ELD-Match, its not a hunting bullet but a match bullet being distingerated is normal. Since most shots will be further out and bullets should hold up better at longer distances.

I was wondering if the ELD Match 178 will hold up on whitetails and hogs at 100 yards since the velocity will drop to 2400-2500 ish fps? I think the ELD Match is similar to the A-Max.

I was reluctant to reload 178 ELD-Match for this week's hunt for whitetails and hogs, but loaded up some 168 Ballistic Tips instead because I was comfortable with it and I don't want tiny fragments of bullet in my meat. I am sure head shots will work with the 178 ELD Match. :lol:
PY38nkE.jpg

ePt6UdF.jpg

I do like the .30 cal, 165 Ballistic Tip for hunting!

Nice test and report. Thanks.

Guy

Guy Miner":1sl8c964 said:

Guy

What about the 168 Ballistic Tip? Any difference? Seems the 168 has a higher BC but won't make a difference under 400 yards.

Looks like both of them had a rough ride but the heavy jacket of the Ballistic Tip should give it an edge at close range. I wonder what a ELD-X would have looked like in comparison, it is supposed to have an interlock ring at least.

TackDriver284":19fj2k2m said:
Guy Miner":19fj2k2m said:

Guy

What about the 168 Ballistic Tip? Any difference? Seems the 168 has a higher BC but won't make a difference under 400 yards.

Never tried the 168 gr Ballistic Tip bullets. Bought a mess of the 165's a few years ago and still have plenty. No need to change. I'd imagine they would work about the same.

Guy

I wouldn't shoot the ELD Match at a game animal on a bet.

The BT barely qualifies IMHO. They both look pretty bad. :(

165 gr Ballistic Tip, from my .30-06 at about 2900 fps mv. Recovered from a big mule deer buck at 140 yards.

I've used the 165 B-Tip this year on bear, antelope, mule deer & elk. Really good performance on each animal.

Regards, Guy

Been looking at them for years Guy. I know what they do.. :)

Im just not a fan..... :(

Back