.300 Win. Mag. SST

Tommer23

Beginner
Feb 1, 2017
300 Win. Mag. 180 gr. Hornady SST factory ammo
Whitetail, quartering away at 50 yards, entered behind ribs, found in the lower neck on opposite side. 70.5 gr. retained weight.

Now that is a whole lot of test on that bullet, looks like it passed with flying colors too.
(y)
Take care
Ed

Quite obviously that load worked. Great recovery of the bullet. That was a lot of stress on the bullet; it appears to have worked well.

What did it look like internally?

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bullet looks exactly like alot of other SSTs that our hunters have been recovering from deer from various calibers.
The SST was designed exclusively for deer and Hornady got it right........ Simple as that. Regardless of the "fake news" that was popular on the internet a few years ago that is simply
99% garbage, The SST bullets work superlatively on deer sized game.
If your a Chevy truck guy, and wouldnt drive a Ford, that sure as heck ; does NOT mean Ford doesnt build a nice truck.
I have used Nosler bullets for 45 years and they are dam good bullets.
I have used SST bullets since shortly after they were introduced and there is NOT a better "deer bullet" avaliable.
This "too light, to thin, not tough enough, will likely blow up" Theory: that is commonly floated around by staunch followers of "one bullet brand"sorta fellas, Is pretty much exactly 180 degrees; from what we have actually seen from SST bullets! They perform as well on DEER : As ANY bullet on the market today at ANY price. And better than 95% of them. They are great "bang for the buck" (pardon the pun)
Bullet, that comes with a higher BC for the same weight most times and they still come 100 in the bag............

I think the SST is an awesome deer bullet. But, people use them for different things. I guided a young man last year on an elk hunt. He brought his 300 win mag and 180 grain SST bullets. I was a little suspect on his bullet selection, however, he made a perfect shot behind the shoulder on a 360" bull at 200 yards. Bull dropped in his tracks. My next door neighbor hunts in Alaska every year. Last fall he shot a huge bull moose. Dropped in his tracks by the river. Used the 300 win mag with Hornady SST 180's. A couple of years ago, killed a sow grizz that would not stop charging at 15 yards with the 180 SST. I have spent many hours over glasses of wine extolling the virtues of bullet construction, penetration, etc... He has no interest. The Hornadys with the red tip kill everything he shoots at.

Back